INSTALLING A SVT SUPERCHARGER ON A 2002 SUPERCREW 5.4 .

I was wondering how much if any trouble it would be to add a supercharger off a lighting or a harley davidson to my stok 2002 Ford

5.4 FX4. Would this sucker just bolt on with minor adjustments or will the computer and all that stuff have to be reprogramed in order for it to work right. What kind of power difference would this do if I did strap it on. THANKS Neil Simon
Reply to
cns25

Again, :-)))

A $6,000 Kenne Bell Kit will get you anywhere from 400-600+ horsepower with the 5.4 :-)

Read some of their tech stuff too, may keep you from wasting your money on useless mods...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

400 maybe, 600 with racing fuel, intercooler, reduced compression ratio, 18 to 20 pound of boost and beefed up cooling system too. One thing you MUST remember that if you add a super charger, 87 is perminantly off the fuel list and even 89 should not be used either. You want to use 93 octane because dentination can destroy a supercharged motor in aheart beat. YOu do not want to go much over 7 PSI with that engine with stock CR if you want it to last. It is possible to have a super charged gas motor live a long life "IF" it is setup correctly for it and properly fueled. Were it not for 87 octane fuel availibity there would likely be more supercharged engines main stream.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Th main problem is whether the rest of the drivetrain can handle the additional power. You might end up with a transmission that won't last very long.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Trouble? Did you say Trouble?

Well it won't be a simple bolt on if that's what you mean. How much computer work needs to be done depends on how much boost you run and the change in air charge temperature that occurs.

If the current fuel pressure regulator isn't sensing manifold pressure, you'll need to switch to one that does. this should help with minor boost levels to keep air/fuel ratio semi-safe. To really be safe you'll want a dyno tune from someone like SCT. Due to your N/A specific compression ratio, you'll have to keep boost low which will limit the power increases you can see.

Reply to
Mike H

I have not put a blower on any of the current crop of engines but, I have put several on 5.0's and 5.8's. The only way to go unless you intend to wear the truck out before getting it right is to forget any method other than buying a complete designed and engineered for it package like the Belle system. Trying to match parts from different sources will quickly turn into a big hassle assuming you don't scrap the engine first. Remember the 5.4's had a problem blowing out spark plugs in stock form for a while - could yours be one of them? It is still an expensive repair. For the time and expense involved, it is just as easy to find another factory equipped truck if you do not use a kit. The only justification for cobbling it together is as an educational venture that WILL become very expensive or you have an unnatural love affair going on with your truck. Any way you go at it, a boosted engine has it's own care and feeding requirements and is not likely ever to be as reliable as it was originally when used as a truck.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut