mini starter question

69 351W

first off on stock starters is it common for starter to not wanna crank right away when its hot?

ive wanted a mini starter for awhile, some draw less power, are lighter, and ofcourse take up less space.

my only problem will be figuring out what flex plate I have (since my tranny swap fiasco at AAMCO) ive got a big bell C4 auto now.

what are good brands for mini starters? ford racing? CSI? Moroso? etc. I saw one in Jegs that had an easy disconnect that looked like would be easy to put a cuttoff switch on if i ever wanted to do that.

thanks,

Reply to
Jack Napier

Jack,

If your starter does not want to crank when hot, you need to check your battery cables, then your timing. You will need to either pull your old starter and take it in to the local speed shop (let them figure out what you need). I happen to like the CSI and Ford mini starters over the other brands.......Although, see if you can find a local shop that carries "The Big End" brand of mini Ford starters, as this is what the roundy round guys use in my neck of the woods................I'd offer to get you pricing, but I'm no longer in the speed shop business.........

Bill S.

Jack Napier wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

i have already replaced my battery ground to the block cable. as far as timing, the last time i had it all apart and was trying to get it going afterward i tried a huge range of timing, then went back to

5BTDC again and she started right up. i was so relieved to finally get her going. ofcourse that was before i fixed that bent valve. She runs great. thats all i know.

so i guess if i have problems after getting the ministarter is when i will rue the day and have to start from scratch again.

last time i looked around the ford racing starters looked good.

thanks for the great info

Reply to
Jack Napier