Minimum noise level? Minimum???

Thus spake D E Willson :

Well, I got a ticket one day for wearing my helmet in my car. The cop also wanted to write a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt because I had a five point on instead to that waste of time lap&shoulder. Talked my way out of that one. Judge tossed the helmet ticket.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake GILL :

I've always enjoyed the Eagles song from "Hell Freezes Over"

"A victim of this, a victim of that, your momma's too thin, your daddy's too fat.

Get over it!!!!"

"The more I think about it, the more I think Old Billy was right. Let's kill all the lawyers, lets kill them tonight"

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

An Air Force Colonel, the first time I met him, wanted to discuss dropping a 427 into a VW bug. It ended up filling the entire back area, and he needed a firewall right behind the front seats. I swear, if he had done it with a Karman Ghia it would have been like a mini GT40. :0)

Reply to
D E Willson

Never heard of a law against wearing a helmet, although it's against the law to wear earbuds or headphones in/on both ears, using a cell phone, or having a video screen visible from the driver's seat, along with having something hanging from the rearview mirror. They want you to be safe and then they want to write you for a helmet? Figures!

Technically, I suppose I could get away with not using my lap belt since 65 model year did not require safety belts. However, I'd rather arrive alive, so I've gone to 3 point belts for the front seats.

Reply to
D E Willson

My 65 has been converted to halogens and LEDs. Much brighter than the originals. I'm considering a 3rd brakelite.

I am watchful of blind people. They mess up my paint and because they are blind, you get fewer points. I save it for the ones I know can dodge, bob, and weave. More sport in it that way.

Reply to
D E Willson

Thus spake D E Willson :

That would have been incredible. I would think that a) it would want to stand up at any small motion and 2) it would be the squirellist creature on the face of the earth. Over 1hp/lb? (only kidding)

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake D E Willson :

"Obstructing my vision." Of course I could easily see both side mirrors and the rear view, so WTF?

Yeah, if it isn't specifically allowed it's not allowed. Running a straight ethanol car? Gotta have a cat. It's not diesel, which is exempted, so it's gotta have one.

I've heard that some states have been confused by turbines, since they aren't internal combustion engines.

Yeah, my father ordered his 65 Galaxie 500 with front lap belts. After we were rear ended (with 31 miles on the odo) he had a shoulder strap installed, along with lap belts in the rear.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake D E Willson :

Whole 'nother thread, but there are some interesting statistics about high mount brakelights.

There's been a thead in the honda NG about installing HID headlights. One guy was complaining about the $200 bulbs that were required. But didn't know about the $1500 for the whole conversion.

Yes, your conversion is definitly worth it.

You know you get more points if you hit the ped but not the dog, right?

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

He did have to add weight under the bonnet to keep the front end down when he burned out, but the main portion of the engin sat forward toward the center of gravity. The transaxel was right on the rear axel line like an indy car.

Reply to
D E Willson

I am considering a switch from halogen to LED. Something in the order of $200 per bulb, but the draw less currewnt, are brighter, last forever, and run cooler.

Reply to
D E Willson

When I was helping the Tijuana Autosport Club organize and promote the Playas de Tijuana road races in 1968 a fellow from the Phoenix AZ area brought his VW sedan. It had a 426 Hemi in the back seat. He was a known and accomplished road racer in the car, and was disappointed when the organizers deemed his car exceeded the 2.5-liter upper boundary for cars invited to the event. They did let him do a few exhibition burnouts and high-speed runs on the ocean-side straight. Point being, an engineer and/or clever developer can make almost anything handle to a degree. See the Auto Unions of immediately pre-WWII.

Reply to
Frank ess

Thus spake "Frank ess" :

Check YouTube for anything on the Winged Express. AA/FA were some of the most incredible creatures to ever race. Huge horsepower, light weight, short wheelbase.

Best example

as one of thebest examples of these foul mannered beasts.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake D E Willson :

Are they currently DoT approved? I know that Audi has them approved, but thought that they were still on a case-by-case basis.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

I think they are approved by DOT but individual states have not approved them. However, if your state has approved them, you can use them in all 50 states as long as you don't take up residency in a state which has not approved them. Like most things, you have to check the laws in your state.

Reply to
D E Willson