More bad luck...

WindsorFox...

Definately interestered. The Ninja got egged this evening as I had the snake out all night. Had to call the cops *again* - second time this week. Me thinks someone doesn't like me. Even scanning through everything that I know, I don't know of anyone else that would dislike me enough to egg my stuff... especially considering if I do have a problem with people, I like to get it cleared up as quickly as possible in person. *sigh*

E-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@nospam.bellatlantic.net (removing the obvious) to get ahold of me and move the discussion to a more private setting.

Thanks a bunch,

JS

Reply to
JS

Coogar... not only do you have a cool car, but you sound a lot like me with wiring things up... lol. All of that sounds like something I'd do just for fun... only now it seems I'm forced to do so because someone wants to play games.

I might put a video capture system in my Probe (which is parked across the street) to get a better angle.

*sigh* Don't know if you read the other post, but the Ninja was the victim tonight. Not happy. Come home at 4:30 AM after a few quiet hours with my girl on the couch watching TV at her place to find the bike smacked with a signle egg. Not as good of a job as the Cobra's hit, but still effective - pissed me off.

JS

Reply to
JS

It's not hopeless, just impractical at the moment, especially with winter coming and the hibernation season that is approaching rapidly...

The toys will be locked up safe and sound very soon. Until then, I'd like to try to catch this idiot. He's just stupid enough to come back for another round or two.

JS

GT-Vert-03's

Reply to
JS

Damn JS... any of your neighbors getting egged or messed with? Somebody really doesn't like you... :( Hope your luck changes for the better.

-Mike

get

Reply to
<memset

Heh,

That kind of stuff makes me mad! I hate when stuff keeps happening over and over again. Makes you want to spend the whole day with your face planted to the window. Just so you know, I have heard varying experiences with the x10 stuff, but for me, I was very dissapointed in it. My house is 45 feet from the garage, and even with a clear shot (no trees, cars, anything) in the way, I still had to put the reciever right in the window (even had to leave the curtains open) for it to recieve. And then every time anybody walked by, or drove by, it would cut out until they passed. So it would catch everything except cars and people (what I wanted to see!). To me, x10 is for the hobbyist, but just as they say "there is no replacement for displacement", to me there is no replacement for hard-wired devices. To tell you how much I didn't like my x10's, I left them mounted outside to act as dummy cameras, incase sombody wants to break them or steal them (thinking that they are the real cameras, where the real ones are hidden out of sight, looking out from tiny holes in the wall, under soffits, etc). If you do go for x10's, remember, they don't see very well at night, and even though they mention they are good up to 100ft, they didn't do it for me. Oh yeah, another thing I liked better about my wired cameras, I wired them all to a central place, and can have all 6 cameras and their pc on a UPS (2 day runtime, rebuilt industrial salvage UPS woohoo! Wired it to some house lights and a couple receptacles too..), just incase anybody is slick enough to cut my power. The x10's have to be plugged in nearby (unless you use a battery pack, which I have used, but never long enough to see how long it lasts).

PS- Thanks for all of the complements on my setup! If anybody needs advise, I just do this for fun and my own family's security, but I am glad to talk about it.

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

Neighbors are fine. No other cars are getting hit, just my stuff.

I seriously only think it could be that one kid... but I can't really say for sure. Oh well... thanks for the change-of-luck wishes...

JS

Reply to
JS

Coogar... here are my ideas.

I really don't ever have a problem, except for this particular issue, so to spend a bunch of green on this is out of the question (considering I have a side project that I'm trying to get up and running and get a patent on, which isn't cheap, I don't have much cash to begin with). I can probably make due with the X-10 stuff. In fact, I could mount all the cameras I wanted on the house and still not catch the kid just because of the way the house and street are arranged, it might be too far to even see the kid clearly (except if I had some really professional stuff).

My idea was to mount a small PC and the X-10 equipment in my Probe which sits right across the street from the snake and Ninja most days. Nobody would even think to look in the car for a security setup, and I have experience with car-mounted PCs (made my own in-car MP3 player at one point). I hardly drive the car right now, so it won't be in the way. I have a street light very close by, and I'd like to augment that with some IR LEDs to help the camera's night vision out. Most CCD cameras are sensitive to IR, and humans aren't... so he could have a floodlight shining on him and he'd never know. The PC would run in the car for a long enough period that as long as I went out and drove it around for maybe 10-15 minutes a day, it would keep the car battery charged up.

I'll have to see how things go down. I'd rather not have to set the system up in the first place, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Thanks for the suggestions....

JS

Reply to
JS

JS,

Sounds like a plan! I still would recommend a wired camera, the x10 even at its best still was pretty grainy compared to even my cheapest wired camera. If you have a digital camera (or camcorder), most of them have a tv-out you could use to connect to a capture card. Good luck catching this punk, I know exactly how you are feeling. Once you set up a camera, you will feel better :)

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

Oooo... forgot *all* about that. Thanks! I have a brandy-new Sony 5 Mpixel cyber shot, complete with A/C adapter and TV outputs. Had to buy it cause the little bastard stole the 3.2 Mpixel cyber shot that was in the car when he stole that. For now I could probably just wire that to my VCR and get it over with. Now it's just finding a good hiding place and a nice, long tape... I hope the idiot is dumb enough to come back for more....

You're pretty damn crafty. We'd get along just fine... lol.

JS

Reply to
JS

Well, now that it's dark, I got to test my idea. Though I have a street light not maybe 4 car-lengths down from where both the snake and the bike are currently parked, there isn't enough light to get a picture from the house, or even the porch for that matter (and I can almost spit on my bike from the porch). That particular digital camera doesn't have the low-light sensitivity that I'd need for this idea. It probably wouldn't work from the Probe either. I'd need an IR torch, and right now, I don't have one.

Ahh.... back to the drawing board..

JS

Reply to
JS

Get a Dog.

Reply to
Matthew B. Tepper

I believe he has a dog

Reply to
<memset

I had a dog. I'm not home enough now to take care of a dog. Problem is, the keys were taken from the house when the car was stolen in June, and I had the dog then.

Most of the happenings are on the front street, which the dog wouldn't be able to do any good...

It would make me feel a little better considering the police said there's a string of robberies occuring lately... *sigh*

JS

Reply to
JS

Yes

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Or one of his worthless homies. You have email on the way.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

That's right, you can pick the little f 'er off from half a mile away with the right rifle/scope combo.

Just remember, sssqqqqquuuuueeeeeezzeeee the trigger. :)

Reply to
Kelley

You sir are a GOD!

Everyone should have a friend like you!!!

Reply to
Kelley