new to posting

i have an 88 5.0 and need to know if anyone knows the part number for a serp belt after removeing the smog pump and ac...thanks

Reply to
stew

Hey Stew, I don't know anything about you belt, someone here will but I did want to welcome you to the group! There are folks in here that know a little bit about everything so you have come to the right place.

As far as the belt.. are you having trouble with the parts house not being able to identify it? Usually they can look it up in a parts catalog pretty quickly.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top With a personal touch, or two.
Reply to
SVTKate

"stew" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Might have to use a string to measure it. Just route the string where the belt would go and measure the length of the string. When you go down to get the belt, get 3 of them - one the exact length, one an inch shorter, and one an inch longer. Odds are better that one of the three will fit. HTH.

Joe

I never would of even thought of that. Pretty nifty.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

It's funny, I never used a short belt for racing, but the number 60705 sticks in my memory. I'm guessing that's the short belt for an AC car to bypass those items.

I think the "705" part of the number refers to the length? 70.5 inches?? IIRC that would be a Gates number too. The "6" may be the number of grooves. It seems like there was some sort of system like this to their numbering.

I would measure like Joe said and see what you come up with.

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

When you have to make 4 freakin' trips to the parts store, stuff like that sticks with you. On the 3rd trip I just told the guy to give me a half dozen belts, each within an inch of each other. The 4th trip was to return the other 5 belts. You can bet I kept the cardboard sleeve with the part number of the belt that fit so I didn't have to go through that again.

wrote in news:t3anc.8526$NY6.5911 @newssvr23.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Joe

"A Guy Named Steve" wrote in news:8xanc.12500$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I ended up with a Gatorback belt bypassing the smog pump. I need the A/C down here, and the p/s is good to have if my wife drives the car.

Joe

LOL! That's great...

-Mike

Reply to