No More Axle Problems

Well, after snapping 3 stock axles and destroying 2 carriers & their bearings...I have decided to put in a full spool and 33 spline Strange axles. To be honest, I was surprised that a stock powerplant could do such damage but I guess if you launch any clutch car at

5500 RPM, you're going to see breakage :) The spool feels a bit different as it seems to drag the inside rear tire through sharp turns but otherwise, it feels very tight. I think it launches a little more straight with the spool too.

So it's off to Sanair for this weekend's $70,000 triple crown. I should be able to make rounds this time. The last 2 big events saw me sitting about 30 ft out on the track with busted axles....not this time!!!!

BTW, I won the NHRA "Rookie of The Year" here. I placed 6th overall in the points with 7200....the only rookie in the top 10. I feel pretty good about that considering I drive the only clutch car in either the Semi-Pro or Super-Pro at our track...it is my first stick car too. It's been a BIG year for me and my sponsor (Crilly Chassis Works - Ottawa)

...and to think it all started here in RAMFM.

Thanks to all those great posters who have helped me get things going. When I first came here I didn't know anything....I still don't...but I want to thank you guys & gals anyway LOL

-- Buzz Haze-Ottawa ON

87 5.0 LX Coupe
Buzz Haze

So now that your racing again does that mean less pictures? :)

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Hell no, as soon as my division is finished I am ready to shoot. The track owner will let me wait until the last minute before telling me to report to the lanes....afterall, I am the track photographer so they have to allow some breathing room. I guess that is one advantage to having no engine mods, the thing requires almost no prep. Just point and drive. Next season I intend to make $$$ off the pictures & videos so that should help with expenses. I love taking track shots. I just needed to get better at it before charging money.

Luckily, my car lasted to the end of the points season. I came in 6th. I have also won the NHRA Semi-Pro Rookie of the Year which will be awarded Feb 28th 2004. What a season!!!

-- Buzz Haze-Ottawa ON

87 5.0 LX Coupe
Buzz Haze

Congratulatoins Buzz, or should I call you Mr. Buzz now ;) 6th place is pretty impressive being that you're a rookie AND you drive a stick car! I was just starting to wonder where you have been, I haven't seen you posting in here for a while. Good luck for the triple crown! Let us know how you do! Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Hey, if I win 10 grand, you will hear me all the way from "the big easy" I guess I haven't been posting much lately but that's just because I don't have much to say. This last month or so has been pretty messy with all the breakage...plus it seems like fewer are interested in drag racing. I still lurk almost everyday. I usually search for familiar names and read their posts. I don't know about you all, but I have been bombarded with spam lately. I only post to a few groups so they must be getting my address from here or alt.binaries.drag-racing. I get at least 25 virus attachments per day, although it seems to be slowing down now....what a pain in the butt. I had to setup a bunch of custom filters.

-- Buzz Haze-Ottawa ON

87 5.0 LX Coupe
Buzz Haze

"Buzz Haze" wrote in a message:

Yep. Both tires are spining at the same rate. Only way it won't launch straight is if the air pressure in your slicks vary from side to side. I bought one of those digital tire gauges from Napa, so I can keep them as close to being the same as possible.

Good luck! I hope to get a report that you made it to the money rounds, and brought home a portion of the prize fund! The same goes for the other guys on the EODA message board.

I didn't have any doubts! I knew you could do it. Congradulations to you and your sponsor!

I wouldn't say you don't know anything. You are a good listener, and tried quite a few concepts and went with what worked best for you. I'd say you learned allot this past year. Rookie of the Year, and you went quite a few money rounds to boot! Just remember, the more seat time you get, the better you will get.

Reply to
GEB

So three axels and two sets of axel guts is what it costs for rookie of the year. Hehe. I once witnessed a 100% stock V8 Dakota snap the carrier. All he did was put slicks on it.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Oh man that has to be a SWEET gig. I'd love to do something like that.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Good point, I will have to make sure I pay more attention to pressure as the day progresses. The sun can really mess with the pressure on the exposed side of the car.

It's going to be a blast, at least 20 of us are going up Saturday and renting nearby hotels so we can just wake up and go racing. I am still a little worried about qualifying.....it's a min. 12.99 so I will have to be at my best. I sure don't have to worry about breaking axles though, you should see these things!!! They are huge compared to the stock 28 spline units. The spool will make it all happen :)

Hey, thanks Gary. I have little choice but to listen since I'm a rookie but I have really learned a lot. What surprised me is the way everyone has helped. I have drivers coming up to me all the time with tips & tricks meanwhile we are competing the next round....where else would you find that but at a racetrack. It says a lot about the quality of people.

My season winnings haven't been stellar by any standards but I never expected to win "diddly-squat". I must have pulled at least a grand out of Luskville this season....maybe more. Sometimes I forget they pay down 16 cars on events with large car counts. I have placed and gone home without collecting the winnings....thank god the track owner is such a cool guy, he just saves the cash for me till the next event :)

-- Buzz Haze-Ottawa ON

87 5.0 LX Coupe
Buzz Haze

heh-heh, since the Rookie title is voted on, I assume they voted for me out of sheer pity after seeing me bust my car so many times hummm...but it may also have had to do with me giving out photo CD's to all the drivers during the year. I didn't know it at the time but I had been bribing the judges all along :)

-- Buzz Haze-Ottawa ON

87 5.0 LX Coupe
Buzz Haze

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!