NoOption5L Returns To The Track

> I talked with some locals

> > here last weekend and they told me that SO FAR this year we've > > received 21 inches OVER OUR NORM. To feel my pain, back in my > > Albuquerque days (lived there 8 years), we averaged about 10-11 > > inches PER YEAR.

Welcome to the tropics.

Yeah, you're not kidding.

> And I swear if it isn't raining in Florida, it > > might as well be with the high humidity levels.

You'll get used to it sooner or later. A/C is a way of life.

And ceiling fans.

I was really used to the humidity when I lived in Hampton, VA. I think it was hotter there than where I'm at in Florida. The gym I work out at doesn't have a very good A/C system either, so that actually helps. I walk out of there after two hours of lifting weights and doing cardio and it feels like feels comfortable outside.

> Can't wait for the > > Florida "winter" (May through September) to be over, so I can feel > > some [relatively] cool weather.

You mean summer. By the end of this month you should see some nicer

> weather. But watch out - hurricane season doesn't end for a few more > months. Btw, we're coming into peak hurricane time right now. I also > see you're about to get drenched again.

The season ends in November, right? Yeah, more rain... what else is new? When we first got here we thought rain was kinda cool, but after about a week the coolness wore off.

> Other than the rain and humidity, everything else is going > > fantastic. The kids are doing great, the job is cool, love the new > > house, and the wife is happy. Overall, life is good!

Glad to hear it. Life _is_ good. Could be a helluva lot worse. We

> could be living in Cali-Land! ;)

Yeah, I can't complain. I could have ended up in a place like Nebraska or North Dakota. Florida is at least in the top 5-10.

> Now, about me returning to the track... last week I had two DSM > > friends of mine ask me to go with them to the local track Friday > > night to make a few runs. I had been bugging them before about > > going, so I couldn't turn them down, plus I was hoping another guy I > > know, who owns a 6-speed LT1 Z/28, would show. Nothing like some > > pony car, and import vs. domestic rivalry to get you hyped up. So > > FriDAY shows up, and it's pouring down rain. Two big heavy > > downpours, and even come 6 PM it's still spitting out and over cast. > > I tell the one DSM guy that I've decided not to go because the > > weather is so crappy. He tells me him and the other DSM guy are > > going to chance it and still go. I wish them luck.

> Well, at about 7:30 PM the cloud cover is breaking up and my son

> > talks me in to still going. It wasn't hard to convince me. I've > > been itching to get some track time! So I quickly remove all the > > interior unnecessaries, make a few adjustments, grab my short belt, > > and off we go. The track (Emerald Coast Drag Way) is only about 20 > > minutes away. > > After going through the track's gate I want to see what the track > > surface looks like and how things are run. I watch an '03 Z06 Vette > > lay down an 8.0 eighth, a plain ol' _looking_ Neon run a 7.9, and an > > '03 SVT snake run an 8.1. There was also two WRXs, a Neon SRT-4, > > and a couple of wicked Pro-Stock type cars. After watching all this > > I'm ready to go! But the damn weather! It's like 97% humidity, and > > the storm clouds are starting to roll in, again. I figure by the > > time I pay my money, get the car teched in, and get to the tree > > it'll be pouring again. And sure enough, within about 15 minutes it > > does. Everyone runs for cover, and most call it a night. My son and > > I jump in the Cobra and follow a late-model Vette out the gate. > > > > Program note: The one DSM ran a 8.7X, the other a mid-9.

> Oh well, even though I didn't get to bang any gears in my Cobra it

> > was nice to smell the burning rubber and hear horsepower thunder > > down the track again.

> Stay tuned... I'll be back!

> Sounds good. Hey, at least you're at sea level. Even with the 97% > humidity. Just wait until February - you'll love it.

I know. That's when I need to go to the track, but last year I just had too many things that needed to get done around the house. Still do, but after a year I need to start taking a few breaks here and there. ;-)

Patrick '83 LTD '93 Cobra

Reply to
Patrick

It's been dreadfully hot here in WA this summer. We're finally going to get some rain this weekend and I'll be out of town. I was looking forward to it. I just hope it's dry next weekend for BOP, although I don't have anything to race.

We've destroyed our record for consecutive days with 70 degree plus weather (that's pretty much where it starts getting too hot in these parts).

Steve Buick 455 on a stand

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Standard dress code is t-shirt and shorts. 24/7, 365/year. Although, up in the panhandle you'll get to wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts (maybe even a jacket!) in the winter. Seriously though, it gets down to freezing once in a while up there.

Goes without saying. In every room in every building. Even the bathrooms. BTW, watch out for the mold and mildew.

It's really not that bad after you get used to it. It's just like anything else - enough time with it and it's just life.

Yup. BTW, it looks like you might feel the edge of TD # 12. Good thing Fabian's history. Shades of Andrew...

It seems to go in spurts. One month the lawn's dried out, the next month it's drenched.

True. Watch out for Jebbie, though. He's skating on thin ice, at least down here. Lots of folks are pissed off at him.

Don't let the weather fool you - if it's raining like hell at your house, a mile away the sun could be shining. IOW, get to the track if you're so inclined. Weather in the tropics is ever-changing. Nothing like up north.

So what's up with the LTD? Any new plans? Can you say stroker? I'm dreaming of a Hemi in my Dak... ;)

Joe

So you're in Fla. now. David and Jared are in Georgia and me, Erik and Mike S are in Louisiana. THere's a "Swamp Fest in Mississippi we should try to goto, it's put on by one of the old regs from AOLs Car Chat.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Here's another option: Montgomery Motorsports Park Montgomery, AL

334-260-9660 NHRA, 1/4 mile

Yes, that would be neat to meet up some time. Maybe have a little southern RAMFM shootout.

Patrick '93 Cobra (ready to rumble) '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

I wonder if I could ressurrect my Montego in time for a sojourn?

(I'm in North Alabama.)

Reply to
Ron Hammon

Yeah, Ill save this post. I wonder haw far that is from BR/NO...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]