Off topic, SCAM alert, TERRA

Looking over my bank statement this last weekend I discovered a $9.00 charge from a company list as TERRA, somewhere in Florida, with a toll free number (877-340-2372) called the number and went straight to an answering machine. Googled the number and found several people complaining the same thing happening to them. Small charges like this are likely overlooked by most people, the frightening part though is that my check card number was compromised. Now assuming that it was probably stolen during the Christmas holidays I can only come up a possible four places where it might have been leaked, (assuming the loss occurred on line or over the phone), See's candies, Omaha steaks, Time Life or Pay Pal, and of the four only See's candies had a screwed up web sight. If this happened to anybody else here see if you can spot a convergence. Find the leak, plug the leak and if lucky send somebody to jail.

Reply to
Ironrod

Did you ever figure what it was for?

Reply to
WindsorFox

The scammers that charge only a few dollars to your account are actually the smartest. As you said, most people will figure that the time to take tracking it down just isn't worth it. So, these thieves get $9 here, $7 there, $3 somewhere else --- it adds up if they have a whole bunch of account numbers they can do this over repeatedly over a "safe" period of time. The wiley (and patient) crooks are the scariest, for sure.

John B.

Reply to
John B.