Opinions: Whattaya think?

"dwight" wrote in news:c6umjt$gk9q2$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-226566.news.uni-berlin.de:

Me too. That's a damn nice car.

Now that would be very cool. But in order to _really_ corner the '93 market you'll need a '93 Cobra.

In truth, they're probably no better (or worse) than '92s, '91s, etc., but I think the fact that they're the last Fox year might mean something down the road. Not to mention they're likely to have lower mileage than the '80s cars. Some people don't like the hypereutectic pistons, but I think the reasoning's all theoretical.

Joe

I agree, while they(hypers) might not be as strong as the forged ones, I still don't think it is the weakest link of a 5.0 engine. I've seen many '93's well past the 100,000 mile mark and I would not hesitate to buy a '93. In fact, I would probably look for a '93 when I start my quest for a mustang. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

"Erik D." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

Mine's got 142k and I know duh-wight's hatch has over 150k. Don't know how his is running, but mine continues to run like a top. Strong as all hell.

Joe

Bought the BMW instead :-) Fits my life at this point. However, if anyone is interested in that coupe, I can hook ya up.

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

TFrog hasn't seen as much use lately (although I'm taking it out today). Still needs a heater core replacement and now the trouble with the transmission... That's why it's only got 175,000 on the clock now. And, yes, it is still an absolute joy to drive and the engine, itself, has never given me any problem.

CFrog is a baby, still with less than 80,000 miles. We're still in a "break-in" period, since I don't really know the maintenance and usage history, but so far, so good. I don't want to really push the car, but so far it hasn't complained when I did.

dwight

dwight

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TurboMike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com:

If only I had the cash... How sweet would it be to have two primo Calypso Green '93s sitting in the driveway?

Best of luck with the Beemer, Mike.

Joe

"dwight" wrote in news:c72t9d$guld7$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-226566.news.uni-berlin.de:

Yeah, these things do happen to cars with that kind of mileage. File it under normal wear and tear...

What've you done maintenance-wise on it? Change all fluids, tune-up, etc.? If it's "fresh", why not start romping with it on a regular basis? The weather's getting to that point where a convertible is a true joy.

Joe

One thing at a time... The oil was changed just before I picked it up, and was changed again when I got back from Nashville. New air filter, and a new serpentine belt.

I'm not happy with the overall appearance of the engine bay - needs a good, thorough scrubbing. Radiator will get a flush-'n'-fill very soon, then I'll see about having the transmission fluid changed out.

To tell the truth (and no offense intended), I'm still considering whether or not to keep this convertible. It's in great shape, I'm very happy with it, but it is an automatic, after all. We've talked about this before, and you suggested that my mod money would be better spent on the convertible, leaving TFrog for daily duty. If the convertible was a stick, I'd probably agree.

In the meantime, we've finally begun the process of restoring the house, getting it ready to sell. Replacement windows (11 of 'em) and pointing the bricks first, then a lot of maintenance that we've put off. I figure I'm about a year away from buying a garage, with house attached. So I've got a year to figure out what goes into that garage.

If I keep this Reef Blue jobbie, then TFrog gets the performance makeover and the garage. If I find a Limited Edition ragtop with stick, then that one gets the garage.

We shall see...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote in news:c736se$hj14j$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-226566.news.uni-berlin.de:

No tune-up, fuel filter, etc? Put that stuff on the list, man..

Certainly wouldn't hurt to replace the tranny fluid (make sure they clean the filter!) and the coolant. That would also be a good time to put in a 180-degree thermostat. After you clean up the engine bay would be a good time for a complete tune-up. Remember to clean out the IAB, and while you're at it, bump the timing up to 15 degrees and head down to the gas station and fill it with $2.00-and-up 93 premium. :)

Depending on availability of funds, built-up AODs can be lots of fun. LenTech makes a nice valve body with a manual 1-2-3 shift. Add in the standard stuff (i.e., bigger MAF, intake, shorties, x-pipe, suspension stuff, etc.) and you'll have an awesome ride that's mucho comfy.

I've heard stories of people doing that, then hating to sell because it came out so nice.

What's 'pointing the bricks'?

Maybe you should consider the car that TurboMike didn't buy. Looked pretty good...

We'll be following this one.

Joe