OT: Evolution of the Auto Mechanic

Sounds like whoever wrote that is afraid of technology. Frankly, I'm happy with the way things have gone thus far & look forward to see further technological advancements in the automotive industy.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
cprice

It's making life simpler, in some respects... Pre OBD2, the PCM would command an action and take it for granted that the action was performed. On new vehicles, the PCM commands an action and, in most cases, check to see that the action was performed.... it *usually* makes diagnosis easier but in some cases it can muddy the water as well. It sure has a way of keeping us "almost dinosaurs" on our toes.

Sadly ( maybe I am a little bitter) the technology has taken a lot of the old time master tuners out of the loop.... guys that could read plugs in their sleep and spend hours replacing jets and advance springs. With the brain crunching I get most days, I still like to get neanderthal....

sorry it's nota Ford but at least I get to play with big dollar toys.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Abso-frickin'-lutely. New cars ain't no fun.

Kool. Whose Mope? What car?

Reply to
CobraJet

'69 Charger. Belongs to a good (non-mechanic) friend. I drink his Gibsons, give guidance and attend to the fiddly bits when he runs out of patience. This one

isa 500 inch stroker with the Eagle billet crank and H beam steel rods
. The millis going into the car on the right
if thefabricator ever gets done with the back half and 12 point cage. That one isa '69 RoadRunner. We almost started the frame mods ourselves but decided toshorten up on the learning curve and have someone that does it for a livingdo the deed.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Management, huh?

Yeah, there's something to be said for experience. I have a 383 in a '69 Satellite, and a 440 in a '70 Road Runner. Gotta love those big blocks!

Reply to
CobraJet