OT:long, What kind of car to buy???

OK, as some of you know I am kind of car shopping. The 98 SS I was going to buy fell through so I am still driving my truck. After putting

275 miles on it today for work I realize more than ever that I need something that gets better than 12 miles per gallon and is more comfortable to drive and has a back seat. I was thinking about buying a 99-up Z71, but they aren't too much better on gas. I'd like something that gets in the mid 20's on the highway. I also want to keep the notes at about 300 or 350 a month. I am thinking probably around the 15,000 range, give or take. I want something at least as new as '99. At first I didn't want a mustang because I am not a huge fan of the 4.6. Lately i've been steering that direction though. It'll probably be something I only keep for 5-7 years, but it will get quite a bit of mileage. I don't need anything super fast, but I want something with some power at least. I just don't know. I've driven several '99 up mustangs and I like them. I've just never had anything with a OHC motor. They seem to be pretty readily available. I think if I could find a mach 1 in my price range I would be sold, but they are a little more expensive. I dunno, someone persuade me into something, lol. I guess I know what I should do, but I just need to get some more opinions. Thanks! Erik D. '94 white lightning
Reply to
Erik D.

Look into a used Focus SVT. Back seats, good handling, good power/weight and reasonable milage. Doubt you will find an american V8 that will give you

25mpg if driven at all aggresively.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

What he said about the Focus. We got my wife a new '03 in January for about $16,500 so you should be able to get a used one for around $10-12K depending one the mileage and such. It replaced a 4 door Explorer and we really don't miss the room. It's a blast to drive but lacks the torque of a Mustang or your truck. Overall it would be a good choice for a daily commuter.

Reply to
Jim Chodrick

Reply to
Erik D.

Erik D. opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

Have you ever driven a Tbird on the highway then back roads?

A nice 97 Tbird Cougar or Mark seems to fill your requirements.

200Kmiles on minimal maintenance is easy

Cheap.. and on my 3.8's i easily get 25 mpg on 2/3 highway, 1/3 neighborhood dring, lots of starts and stops... so on a long commute and a 4.6, not much rubberbanding, you should get 25 easily

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I wouldn't rule out Mustang 4.6's because of fuel mileage or reliability. They're durable as hell, and mine gets 27+ mpg in mixed city/hwy driving. If all you're going to do is drive the piss out of it, why spend the bucks?

I ended up settling on an '88 Chevy Celebrity 2.5L beater for commuter action. I paid only $1200 for it, and it gets 35 mpg. I can't see paying cash money each month for a daily/winter beater/commuter. I just wanted something cheap to get me from A to B, and I've saved a TON of cash driving this thing to/from work instead of the Mustang.

If you're mind is still open to something utilitarian and you can swallow your pride in lieu of huge cash savings, consider a beater. Take that $400/mo. you'd pay for that torque-monster you spoke of, and put it in the bank, instead of in someone else's pocket.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

Reply to
Erik D.

Erik, just a couple of points:

a) I think you realize this, but Focuses (Focii?) suck. They're weeniemobiles with the wrong wheels driving the car.

b) You need a pushrod motor, so check out some used 'Vettes. Otherwise, find another SS or even a WS6. You know they're out there.

Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD Hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

"Erik D." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

Reply to
Joe

I do realize exactly what you're saying. I'd love a vette, but can't afford the insurance. As far as LS1 F-bodies, they are everywhere. Unfortunately, the ones I see are all auto's, or they are beat to hell. I just want something clean, and reliable. And I don't want something with 1,000,000 miles on it no matter how clean it is. I just can't seem to find anything that really jumps out at me like that 93 cobra I almost bought and that 98 SS I almost bought. Shit happens though, guess i'll just keep waiting for the right one. Thanks for the advice. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Erik-

Consider a Cherokee! the 4 liter has a lot of torque, but does well on the hwy, the 4wd is nice, plenty of space, very comfy!

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Rein

Or better yet, get a sportbike ! :-)

45mpg, 145hp, 400 pounds, 0-60 in 3 seconds, 1/4 mile in the 10's.......ahw.. I laugh every time I fill er up at the pump.

Rein

Erik, if I may be so bold to direct you towards salvation, let me suggest the NEWLY REDESIGNED Kia Rio. This car starts at only $10,280 (you probably pay that much a month in gas on your current truck.) I know this isn't what you're currently considering, but it deserves a look (or two!) It comes in three models including the luxurious PP. This model includes extra features such as power doors and windows, body-colored side moldings and a tachometer for you gearheads out there. Expect to pay a little more for the PP model... If I haven't convinced you yet to take a test drive, let the 1.6L DOHC engine draw you in. This engine sips gas and throws out horsepower. More information can be found at:

Ifyou're interested in more information then send me an email. I don'tjust drive a Rio, I also sell them. See you on the road! Phillip Wendell Assistant Salesmanager Alamo Kia of San Antonio, TX

Reply to
Phillip Wendell

You've got to be joking....right?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

You are aware that you're talking to a Mustang enthusiast and a Lightning owner, right?

Do you know how silly you sound trying to associate 1.6L with any perceptible horsepower? Thankfully, you didn't even mention torque.

It is *incredibly* funny to read it and imagine the Kia announcer guy is talking. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

If your goal is an inexpensive sporty V8 with rear wheel drive, you've really made the decision already - Mustang. There really isn't anything else! However, I'd suggest you take a look at an Audi A4. You can have all the benefits of being a BMW guy without having to actually be a BMW guy.

Jim S. '82 Mutant

Reply to
Jim S.

Trust me.... that is not a good idea. The way I drive I wouldn't last a week on a sportbike :)

Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Reply to
Erik D.

Erik, you know you could always find a Used Cobra about my vintage in that price range.

Kate

| > a) I think you realize this, but Focuses (Focii?) suck. They're | > weeniemobiles with the wrong wheels driving the car. | >

| > b) You need a pushrod motor, so check out some used 'Vettes. | > Otherwise, find another SS or even a WS6. You know they're out there. | >

| > Joe | > Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD Hatch with a few goodies | > Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC | >

| | I do realize exactly what you're saying. I'd love a vette, but can't | afford the insurance. As far as LS1 F-bodies, they are everywhere. | Unfortunately, the ones I see are all auto's, or they are beat to hell. | I just want something clean, and reliable. And I don't want something | with 1,000,000 miles on it no matter how clean it is. I just can't seem | to find anything that really jumps out at me like that 93 cobra I almost | bought and that 98 SS I almost bought. Shit happens though, guess i'll | just keep waiting for the right one. Thanks for the advice. | Erik D. | '94 white lightning |

Reply to
SVTKate

I only get 20 with mine. Yup, I am a little heavy footed but not excessivly so.

Do I care? Now and then, maybe three times since I've had her.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top

"Rein" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | IT all depends. If you stick to the speed limit somewhat, use your | cruise control a lot and don't run into too much traffic and drive | mainly freeways, you'll probably get 25 mpg with a GT. | | On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:41:06 -0500, "Erik D." | wrote: | | >While it makes sense, I do not see myself driving a focus.....ever. I | >will sacrifice some gas mileage to have a little bit of low end torque. | > I have had two american V8's that got 25 mpg on the highway, and I | >know that the '99-up GT's are capable of the same. I can live with 15 | >or so in the city and 23-27 on the highway. This 12mpg thing just kills | >me, cause it only does maybe 14 on the highway. I appreciate the | >suggestion, and I know it makes alot of sense to buy something | >economical, but its just not me, lol. | >Erik D. | >'94 white lightning | >

| >> What he said about the Focus. We got my wife a new '03 in January for about | >> $16,500 so you should be able to get a used one for around $10-12K depending | >> one the mileage and such. It replaced a 4 door Explorer and we really don't | >> miss the room. It's a blast to drive but lacks the torque of a Mustang or | >> your truck. Overall it would be a good choice for a daily commuter. | >>

| | Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
SVTKate