OT: Need computer guru help...

I have encountered this problem before on an older operating system, but I don't remember the cure.

If I were to start up my computer, and then put in a cd in it will recognize it. If I were to take the cd out, it will not recognize the new one. I have to restart the computer for it to see a new cd. This sucks when I am trying to do mass burns.

Windows 2000 is the OS. Everything except the hard drive is brand new. Only the burner does this. The new cd-rom works as it should. The old burner did not work at all.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Since it takes a reboot to get things going again I'd look at a software conflict. But you could still check the cables, jumpers, etc. Maybe put it on a different IDE channel or switch the master/slave roles. You might even check if your burner has a bios upgrade.

Back to the software, I saw something similar with my brother's computer. His burner worked ok, but after he installed Nero it did something similar to what you described. I did a search and found a reference to removing "InCD" (part of Nero software). That fixed it. Also, when I unistalled/reinstalled Nero I left out as much as the extra crap as I could.

Here's a link that covers some Win2k /CDR stuff..like ASPI, DirectCD conflicts, etc

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Dinsdale