OT: Need help with my dog...

Anyone have ideas for training my dog not to chew and tear everything up when I leave? I know that they do it because of anxiety, but it is pissing me off.

Thanks,

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

at 07 Nov 2003, 2.3Sleeper [ snipped-for-privacy@mwcmustangs.com] wrote in news:bohal3$1e81np$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165082.news.uni-berlin.de:

Several options:

  1. Crate your dog. After crate training of course.

  1. Get some 'bitter apple' spray (eg PetsMart) and spray what the pooch chews. This is a stopgap measure and does not work on all dogs. Most do not like the taste so they'll stop chewing until you get the dog (crate) trained.

  2. Restrain to dog to a certain part of the house where it has room to move but cannot do to much damage. Eg, utility room. kidgates are great for this. Depending on the dog, some will climb or jump them.

Judging from experience, your best bet is to crate the dog. I suggest a metal wire crate rather than the plastic flight kennel one as it allows more air and vision. If properly crate trained, the dog will see it's crate as it's 'private room'. A safe haven.

Crate training:

At first use treats to get the dog in the crate and give it a verbal command (eg. 'crate!'). Praise the dog when it goes into the crate by itself. Slowly lengthen the amount of time the dog is in the crate. After a while you can just leave the door open and the dog will go in if it feels a need to be alone. Which is what you want.

Make sure the crate is big enough for the dog to fully stand and preferably also stretch in. Make sure it is in an A/C|heated room. Also a radio or CD player with soothing music will help the dog and give it something to do. Make sure the dog has water so it can drink if it feels thristy and some toys if the dog likes playing with them.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Paul

Don.... before I get branded as a pet hater, let me just say that I hate our pets..... between the love of my life (my bride) and the scourge of my life (my 15 year old son) we have no less than three critters (and as many as 6) at any given time. If it were not for my family, I'm sure that something in a smallish caliber would train the animal quite well.

Some destruction when you're gone type troubles can stem from the breed of the dog..... My sister had Afghans for a short time and proved that these things are damned near untrainable when it comes to this sort of behaviour. Our house is a mutt house rather than a purebred house and we haven't had any trouble, leading me to believe that mutts are more laid back. I thinnk there are some doggy NGs that might offer up some good advice.

Jim Warman

PET HATER !!!!

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

AKKKK!!!!! caught with a full clip!!!!

Reply to
Jim Warman

My first response was similar to Jim's and then I remembered the best dog I ever had. I swapped a stray kitten for her, and she was our "Body Shop Dog" Sadie. She was given to me because she chewed everything up. Well, she was just a pup, and was teething. I gave her some other things (rawhide, the guys that worked for us in the shop, and the like) to chew on and kept her with me when I was at the shop. She outgrew it with lots of love and encouragement and an occasional kick square in the ass. Of course, then she began to dig her way to China... but the chewing went away and she was a damn good dog. She was my friend and protector. One thing I would do is make a point of going out and playing with your dog, often. Don't give up on your mutt, you never know he or she may really come through for you some day, I know mine did. Man I miss her.

I don't do critters much these days except this damn cat.. I hate cats...especially this cat...horrid little beast...that's why I am hauling her mangy furry arse all the way across the country at great expense and inconvience to myself. Got a Big kitty carrier that requires the removal of my back seats.. special harness.. little name tag with national 800 number...*grumble*mumble*grouse*gnarf* ... man I hate cats.... (wink) and when this cat is gone, chances are I will live in a pet free environment. I'm tired of having to be retrained every time a new critter takes over the house.. a person can only learn so many skills in one lifetime!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Strange place to ask about dog training.Try alt.animals.dog

Andrew

Reply to
me

Very similar story with a lab I had for 17 years. When she was a puppy, my wife and I bought a new coffee table. We set it up in the living room and went out for about an hour. When we came back the coffee table had 1 leg still attached and the other 3 looked like a beaver had gotten a hold of them. She is still the best dog I have ever owned once she stopped the chewing. The Jack Russell I have now only chews on my wife's cats so that isn't all bad. g

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Hello,

Can you leave your Jack Russel loose in the house while you are gone? Ours is too high-strung. For instance, we left him loose one day, he went into the bedroom, shut the door behind himself, and pulled up the carpet on half the room and clawed halfway through the door! He is very bad about clawing stuff, and barking. Another time he was in my wife's old pontiac, she had to run into the drugstore (she was in there for 10 minutes tops, no it wasn't hot out, and yes the windows were cracked) and the dog ate both visors, one armrest and tore down the whole headliner! He's a friendly dog, but he's going on 9 years old, but still acts like a retarded puppy..I love him, but I will never have this breed again...

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

Well, hmm... You realize that Don belongs here.. right? And as a long time member of the group... no one here (except YOU) is griping about it.. and that OT means exactly that Off Topic.. so chill out!

Geeze Andrew, go have a cup of coffee or something!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

LOL yep Jack Russel Terrorists is what I call them. I'm lucky in that mine is pretty calm for the breed, but then he has 3 cats to keep him busy all day long. He grew up with the cats so the get along great.

He does like to move pillows and such around. He also has a bunch of toys he plays with all day long. We some times come home and think we have small kids in the house again. He will have his toys all over the place and all the pillows off the couch and bed.

He is 11 years old now so age has calmed him down a touch. When he was a puppy he would get pissed at my wife or me and find something of ours and tear it up. That stopped when he got to be about 2 yrs old though. We also tried keeping him in the yard when he was a puppy but he can get out of any fence there is.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Purrrrrrr, ya got me all warm and fuzzy girl.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Well... I'm not scritchin yer belly boy!

*grin*

Kate

| > Geeze Andrew, go have a cup of coffee or something! | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

No belly rubbin', no ear scratchin', and no paw ticklin'? What fun are ya?

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Ok Ok... you can sit on the couch! But the minute you start sheddin', lickin' or fartin'... you're outta there.. got it?! ROFL!

Kate

| > *grin* | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Uhhh, I can't lick?

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Well hon... if you CAN, men throughout the western hemisphere will be knocking at your door for lessons!

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

This would be the point where I would insert comments from my wife, but I think I will end this here, LOL!

Gotta go, someone is knocking at my door.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper