OT: New toy for the trip

Whoo Hoo! Been looking for an excuse... DUDE! I got a Dell! Laptop that is.

Inspiron 5100 2.4 ghz 15" screen. So far, so good! Man I hate setting up a new computer, this start menu looks like the leftovers at a wrecking yard!

See, and you thought you would be rid of me for a while Muhahahahaa

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Dude, you got a dell!! LOL, good purchase! We'd miss you! Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

at 19 Nov 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:1aTub.32715$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com:

Give it a good workout before you go on the road. A friend of mine recently got a Hell laptop and is on his 3rd within 2 weeks. The first one developed mysterious problems within days, I believe possibly a hairline crack somewhere in a trace on the mammaboard. He got another one which within the week blew the HD. They replaced that one as he refused to have them swap the HD as we both believe there's more to it than that...

Lemme guess Windows Gameboy OS came standard on it? :-) I prefer W2K. Next month I should be getting a freebie W2003 Server for attending a TS seminar.

If you are as unlucky as my bud, we just may. Hehehehehehehehe!

Reply to
Paul

Sorry Kate, but Dell _sucks_ in my experiences. I'd never spend a cent on Dell. Good luck w/ it. "Dude! You're getting a dell!" commercial ALWAYS bugged the hell outta me.. so bad Kate!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

AWESOME ... now you need wireless capability so you can drive and post. Ok Ok Ok .. ride and post !

Reply to
Sustang

Awwwww shucks

Reply to
Kathleen Selby

Well, my primary system is a Dell 8200, have had it about a year.. no hitches other than software conflicts (self induced) I did buy the extended 3 year service contract. Will never be without one again ...

Reply to
Kathleen Selby

yea yea yea.... depend, like any mfgr, what you buy. If you buy the cheap junk, you get junk. I don't do junk...

Reply to
Kathleen Selby

(Scooby doo voice) Yea yea yea!!! Now... where do I go for that????

Reply to
Kathleen Selby

Congrats.

I have had several Dell laptops for work and they have been good. I travel all over with them and they don't get treated to well but work well.

Good luck.

Reply to
Kirk

Send us e-mails while on the road - are you going to stop by Vegas to lose a few bucks, then stop by Colorado to ski, then drive for days through Kansas (believe me, it will seem like days), etc?

See, being fired by that witch was one of the best things to happen to you.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

I build my own computers (PCs--not laptops) so I don't worry a/b that.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

at 19 Nov 2003, Kathleen Selby [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:pHVub.6481$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Your cell phone provider. :-) You'll need a compatible modem and cell phone. Don't expect to much speedwise from a cell phone connection though. Last I heard you'd be lucky to get 14k4. Of course make sure your plan has plenty of minutes and roaming...

Another option is WiFi or similar wireless network protocol. But that will only work in small area's where there are access points and you'd probably hae to pay. Like eg internet cafe, campground or hotel...

Reply to
Paul

at 19 Nov 2003, Kathleen Selby [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:5GVub.6478$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I don't worry about desktop systems. I can build and maintain/fix them myself. Although the last one I had built as I needed a new box the same day. They did a bang up job using good quality components and price wise I doubt I could've beaten them by much buying the parts and doing it myself. And it would have meant mailordering parts. Which meant delivery time. Not worth it...

Laptops unfortunately are a different kettle of fish. You take your chances on those as they are definately not user servicable. Which reminds me, I need to take my old 233Mhz laptop in to have the power connector resoldered. Luckily I have the repair manual on that model.

Reply to
Paul

Starbucks... :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

I've always liked Dell computers; they seem to build really solid machines, at least for their corporate customers. :) Yours sounds fairly similar in specs to my dad's work laptop, an M50 workstation, and he's been really happy with it. Sturdy sucker, good battery life.

While we're on the topic of Dells... My college just got all new Precision 430 workstations with dual 2.4 Ghz Xeon processors, a gig of DDR, DVD-RW burners, and 17" LCD monitors. Seriously _sweet_ machines. Too bad the damn security policies are so restrictive, and our student profiles are set up with measly 30 MB (!) quotas! Grrr.

These days with rebates, service, free shipping and whatnot, it's almost cheaper to get a Dell than to build your own.

What?!? Never! :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Well as far as it comes when "total cost" is involved... sometimes it actually IS cheaper to buy a computer rather than build your own. For ME, however, I like to know EXACTLY what parts are being used in the computer. I am extremely picky when it comes to computer parts sometimes. I like Asus & Epox & Gigabyte motherboards, while I like Western Digital & Seagate hard drives.. Samsung is OK. I must have DDR RAM (can be generic for all I car, but must be highest grade). I love high-end GeForce4 video cards (haven't tried the latest GeForce cards yet nor have I heard anything).. I also like high-end ATi cards that AREN'T all-in-wonder cards (simply b/c I don't need all of it). etc etc.. I could go on & on. I am just saying when I build my own computer instead of buying one I know exactly what is going in it & when problems come up (rarely hardware-related) I know what to look at & what it'll cost to repair/replace.

On another topic... I put my Steeda Tri-Ax handle on the lower setting & love it even more now. Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifters OWN!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

been there, done that.. for myself and all of my kids, and my hubby. I can build them, I don't like to. AND it's not likely I could or would build a laptop...

| > > -Mike | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

oh... well.. screw THAT!

Reply to
SVTKate

We are taking the Southern route.. driving Shug... remember? Can't get anywhere near snow or ice.