Rings and bearings on a 289

Im going to be replacing the rings and bearings on my 289 and i need a bit of info. Ive seen that the rings and bearings come in standard sizes, and other sizes. How do i know if i need a standard size or different sized rings and bearings?

Reply to
Errol Smith

Well if you do any machine work like boring the cylinders then you need to get larger pistons and rings ( .030 bore needs .030 pistons and rings) if your just going to brake the glaze then you use standard sizes StuK

Horsepowered.com sucks

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

You can't until you take everything apart. If a previous owner has done some work, the cylinders could be oversized and the bearing journals could be undersized. It's usually stamped on the crank or pistons if they've been cut. You really should measure the cylinders and journals before doing anything. A Windsor will run well with a surprising amount of wear. But if they are way off you're wasting time and money just dropping in new rings and bearings. If you don't cut the cylinders you certaily need to run a glaze breaker through them before dropping in new rings. That's an easy thing to do in your garage. The breaker is only about $20 or so, and you can do it with a standard hand drill. Get the one that looks like a bunch of dingle balls on a stick; it's pretty much idiot proof.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
Errol Smith

I'd keep the 289. Good blocks are getting harder to find (at least around here).

Scott W. '66 HCS

"Errol Smith" wrote

Reply to
Scott Williams

I dont know how much my 289 has been bored out in the past. If its too far out, ill just get a 302 and drop it in until i can afford to have the 289 resleeved i think its called to return to the stock bore.

Reply to
Errol Smith

A garden variety 289 is not worth sleeving back to standard size. If the bores are too large you need to buy another block. Thats why Scott said good blocks are getting hard to find.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner