OT: New toy for the trip

nopers.. never!

| > Inspiron 5100 2.4 ghz 15" screen. So far, so good! | > Man I hate setting up a new computer, this start menu looks like the | > leftovers at a wrecking yard! | >

| | I've always liked Dell computers; they seem to build really solid | machines, at least for their corporate customers. :) Yours sounds fairly | similar in specs to my dad's work laptop, an M50 workstation, and he's | been really happy with it. Sturdy sucker, good battery life. | | While we're on the topic of Dells... My college just got all new | Precision 430 workstations with dual 2.4 Ghz Xeon processors, a gig of | DDR, DVD-RW burners, and 17" LCD monitors. Seriously _sweet_ machines. | Too bad the damn security policies are so restrictive, and our student | profiles are set up with measly 30 MB (!) quotas! Grrr. | | These days with rebates, service, free shipping and whatnot, it's almost | cheaper to get a Dell than to build your own. | | > See, and you thought you would be rid of me for a while Muhahahahaa | >

| > Kate | | What?!? Never! :) | | | -- | / Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch \ | | My V6stang:

|| | RAMFM Merchandise:
|| \Mirror, mirror on the wall, that's my e-mail address?/

Reply to
SVTKate

Some Cell providers have a card that gives your wireless internet without plugging the phone into the puter with a built in antenna. Others have a port from the phone to the puter. Then there's the Cellphone/PDA's that run Pocket PC and are automatically on the internet with Outlook and IE. I'm looking into one right now from T-Mobile, but their 400-600 bucks depending on how much memory you want, ouch!

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

at 20 Nov 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:SPZub.9481$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Now now, don't shoot the messenger hon... :-)

Reply to
Paul

dang it, you never let me have any fun!

I'll be too busy enjoying the trip to play on the puter... I'll save that for when we land.

Reply to
SVTKate

at 20 Nov 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:ez4vb.10906$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Serves ya right hon. Here I am, selflessly offering to take Shug in for you at no charge and my offer gets scoffed at. :-)

Sounds like a good plan. If you have a digital camera, you may want to document the trip. There's sure to be some nice spots where Shug will come out real good. *WEG*

Reply to
Paul

Paul wrote: Which

I had to do that to two older IBM Thinkpads here at my office. I didn't have any documentation but it wasn't so hard. There were alot of smaller boards, connectors, and screws but as long as you remember where everything goes you'll be ok. If you have experance building pc's you shouldn't have any problem tearing down a laptop, making the repair and putting it back together.

Reply to
Mike King

at 20 Nov 2003, Mike King [ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] wrote in news:bpjcnn$1pcaek$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-185605.news.uni-berlin.de:

I don't. *L* I've taken it apart before to replace the motherboard. I just don't have the soldering equipment to do this so I'm gonna take it in to where I bought my desktop system. They have the right stuff and it shoudl only take them 10 minutes at most. I even kept the old broken motherboard so I can show them what's going on...

Reply to
Paul

I was kinda thinking that.. one of the reasons I had to buy the laptop, so I could empty my memory cards while on the run...

Reply to
SVTKate

So that means you need to come right on down through I-40, stop off here in Midwest City, since you will be going 3 miles straight south of me. Stay over here for a night and then you are only 11 hours away from your destination. You can make Nashville in 10 hours flat from my house. there is some seriously pretty country coming through this way Kate.

Besides, you comes through this way and you could meet me, Bluestang98, and Scott Van Nest. I could probably rustle up Jim Chodrick as well. I know I am missing someone else here in OK, I just can't place a name right now.

How often does someone from the NG get to meet 3 or 4 other NG regulars in one shot?

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Cool Kate :-) I always love reading your posts, even though I don't respond much any more. I have a Dell laptop that I love and I have a Dell desktop now too. My laptop goes everywhere with me. I'm sure you'll get lots of great use out of it.

If you get in the SC area, let me know .. and good luck with your trip/move! :-)

-D> Whoo Hoo!

Reply to
Donna, aka Diamondz

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

We are trying to get out of here on Thanksgiving Morning... should be there in about 3 days if all goes well :)

I think it would be great to meet you guys and see your cars!

Kate

| >Besides, you comes through this way and you could meet me, Bluestang98, and | >Scott Van Nest. I could probably rustle up Jim Chodrick as well. I know I am | >missing someone else here in OK, I just can't place a name right now. | >

| >How often does someone from the NG get to meet 3 or 4 other NG regulars in | >one shot? | >

| >Don Manning | >

| | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | Tom | | 1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue | K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, | P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, | Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels |

SVTKate

Thanks Donna :) There is no doubt that once we get out there we will go exploring next summer.. When we get in that direction we'll give you a holler!

On the laptop, I was thinking that if nothing else when the trip is over I could plant it in the kitchen somewhere... talk about one fancy schmancy recipe book LOL!

| > Inspiron 5100 2.4 ghz 15" screen. So far, so good! | > Man I hate setting up a new computer, this start menu looks like the | > leftovers at a wrecking yard! | >

| > See, and you thought you would be rid of me for a while Muhahahahaa | >

| > Kate |

Reply to
SVTKate

at 24 Nov 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:vTowb.20776$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:

Get a wireless network access point. They are pretty cheap these days and can be made quiet secure now. That way you can take it all over the property. Like stick in a Ford Service manual Cd and take it to the shop to work on Shug. Or sit on your porch checking RAMFM on a nice morning.

Reply to
Paul

"Paul" wrote

| Get a wireless network access point. They are pretty cheap these days | and can be made quiet secure now. That way you can take it all over the | property. Like stick in a Ford Service manual Cd and take it to the | shop to work on Shug. Or sit on your porch checking RAMFM on a nice | morning.

*sigh* Ok.. if I have to .... *wink*
Reply to
SVTKate

Yeh, maybe I could make it too! :)

Reply to
Jim Chodrick

at 24 Nov 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:NHpwb.21005$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:

I know. Twist your arm eh? Would make a nice xmas present. :-) Get the 'G' version, not the 'B' one as those are only 11Mbps versus 54Mbps for the 'G' versions...

Reply to
Paul
3 days would be perfect. I would have to have to lose a night of work. Can't say no to cash money. If you guys came in on Sunday, then we wouldn't be that full from all of the turkey eating either.

Wohoo!

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I do believe I included you on the list buddy!

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I'll give it a shot.. if I have time!