OT: Question about Forte newsreader

Someone recommended using Forte Free Agent 2.0 for a news reader. I'd like to hear comments, good & bad, about this newsreader, and where to download it. Thanks! I'm ready to give Outlook Express the heave ho, and trying something new. If anyone has suggestions for something better than Forte, let me know about those as well.

Gary

Reply to
GEB

"GEB" wrote in news:_4X1e.296$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

Tried it once, didn't like it too much. IMO, the best free newsreader is Xnews. Been using it for years.

Joe

Just out of curiosity, why are you heaving OE ?

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Mainly cause I'm tired of it's boring looks, and ready to try something new. In one of the other groups I'm in, to send a video file, you have to split it up into multiple posts, and OE is a royal pain to do that. Same goes for downloading and reassembling them.

Gary

Reply to
GEB

I use Agent for reading text groups (like this one)...It will generally handle multi-part binaries ok, but can get confused occasionally. (but that's an easy fix) Setup is straightforward...but there are a couple things to look out for, especially if you're downloading big files. I think it's easier to use than OE and Xnews.

X-news does a better job uploading and downloading binaries (especially incompletes) and works fine once you've got it setup. I don't prefer it for text groups. (but it has no problem with them) The learing curve may be a little steeper than Agent, but once you've got it going, (use the test groups for upload tests...it's worth it) it's much more flexible.

Both will handle yenc.

Happy Trails DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Ahhh... ok, I get it now.

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:24:10 GMT, "GEB" wrote something wonderfully witty:

I've used it since it's inception, anyone else remember Agent .99? Anyhow since I have used it since the beginning it is about obvious that I like it. I've tried others, yet always come back to Agent. I like it's look & feel, user interface, and macro-programming.

All different sorts of News Readers can be found at

Download em, try em, and keep the one that suits you the best. One of the reason that there is so many of them out there is one size truly does not fit all, regardless of what MickeySoft thinks.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I think Pan is better, and it works on many platforms.

Andrew

04 stang gt
Reply to
Andrew

Actually, I still have .99 on a CD, though I have upgraded to 2.0.

There are a number of readers available. I like Agent, but there are free >On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:24:10 GMT, "GEB" wrote

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Get it at

They've changed things a little; Ithink they've eliminated Free Agent, and now provide afully-functional version of Agent 2.0 which reverts to Free Agentafter thirty days.

I like Agent, and have used it (and paid for it) for years. I like it well enough that I paid for the new 2.0 version, too.

I've read the posts you make later in this thread, and I have only a couple things to add. First, Agent is probably not the best choice for uploading binaries, like videos. Someone already recommended Xnews; my choice was and is PowerPost, but either one of those is fine. I like PowerPost's user interface a little better, but you may not.

Lately, I've been trying Newsbin for downloading binaries. I like it better than anything else I've tried so far, including Xnews. Haven't tried uploading with it yet, though.

I can't think of any if text is your concern. If you also want something to download large binaries with, Agent will work very well, so don't sweat it. You'll probably want to go ahead and spend the money for a full, licensed copy though.

Reply to
Carl

Why do you say that? I have used Agent since 0.99 and have not had any problems. I uploaded a very large video file, which I hardly ever do and am hardly proficient at it, and it just did it with no fuss and broke it in parts, labeled it all correctly, etc. I checked later and everything was there.

Someone already recommended

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Because it's one of the most Godforsaken, infernal pieces of garbage ever coded? *ANY* thing is better than OE...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

For regular stuff Thunderbird or Mozilla suite, for posting binaries Xnews would be the best.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

For the life of me, I can't remember now what happened to make me say that. It was several years ago, and had something to do with the way the resulting file (in my case, an MP3) was named, or something. In any case, I was pointed to PowerPost, which is a single-purpose program. It's free, too! I really like PowerPost.

This is not to say that Agent is a BAD choice, mind. It's just that there are other choices around.

Reply to
Carl

yeabut...

I like it :)

| > Kate | >

| | | Because it's one of the most Godforsaken, infernal pieces of | garbage ever coded? *ANY* thing is better than OE...

Reply to
SVTKate

And you can contract a trojan by simply recieving the email. Try Thunderbird

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]