PING: backyard mechanic

Hey man...just a quick question. Whenever someone has a technical problem you(from what i have read) always give the right answer to the problem. How long have you been involved in cars and how did you learn so much besides experience? Just reading/doing alot?

Reply to
joe

joe opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I'm in no way shape or form "right" all the time.

Bill S. is the guy on here thats closest to "right" all the time, IMO... but his focus is a little different, mine's more in "systems".

I usually give a possible solution.. but thats why everyone who has a logical alternative should suggest it.

And sometimes I just plain step on my thingy... thats why I like alt.autos.ford; every time I screw up there's a pro on there who yanks my chain hard. Learn a LOT that way, even at my advanced age.

BTW: Success teaches you nothing, mistakes almost ALWAYS do (except in International Politics, apparently)

Engineer by interest, training and vocation RF (radio) then integrated logic, then software integration...

  1. Innate need to understand WHY, since I was a kid and stuck my finger in a light socket the first time!

  1. Innate need to know if I can do it.

Downside: Everyone who knows me says I analyse things to death.

Worked on Cars since 58... my first - 51 ford flathead.

AND I REALLY learned the modern car when I bought my SVO.. cant think of a better way to learn EECIV!

The equivalent of learning OBDII by buying a Cobra!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

But if one can succeed from making mistakes? One thing about me, I always stuck my finger in the wall socket as a kid and I never learned!! =-) One of the craziest things I've done when I was around 12/13, I took my radio shack remote control car and hooked up a bunch of hacked up christmas lights to give it that "rally" look and went to the park to show it off..only thing is that the battery didn't quite last as long.

Reply to
RioRedGT

Changing the subject , I have a 85 CFI GT I put duals on it and removed the cats and all the AIR and EGR stuff. I have fooled the computer with some resisters on the emission solenoids every thing worked fine un till the duals when bam I started getting an oxygen sensor error code so I replaced it and still no change . my thoughts are that due to little to no back presser that the O2 sensor does not get an true reading so I guess my question is ANY IDEAS ?

Reply to
Randy

Randy opined in news:3f57cc31 snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.slurp.net:

What code?

I suspect you're right if it's never getting to temp.

Bet that's a single wire EGO, right? That means you need to wire in a HEGO.. SHOULD work.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I think it depends on when in the model year it was built. I was surprised to see that my '85 CFI GT was a HEGO from the factory... especially after reading about needing an EGO.

JS

JS

Reply to
JS

HEGO Factory .. the code is 47.........any more thoughts ?

Reply to
Randy

What are Closed Throttle Plates ? EGR block off plate is good I machined it my self all vac tubing has been changed except the one going to cruse control and I have caped it checking it. Give me more suggestions you are being more help than anyone else I have talked to.

Reply to
Randy

my bad the code was 41......... sorry

Reply to
Randy

Randy opined in news:3f5b84fb snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.slurp.net:

Okay... if that came from KOEO, you're correct. Lean for 15 seconds, no switching.

DO you have ANY OTHER probs.. like poor idle? What's your water jacket (thermostat) temp?

Sure the heating circuit is working?

Wonder what would happen if you restricted the exhaust at the tips? Like cut it down to 1.25 inches, temporarily..

You speak of the EGO in singular, just one?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Q: Okay... if that came from KOEO, you're correct. Lean for 15 seconds, no switching. A: Yes it did

Q's:1: DO you have ANY OTHER probs..2: like poor idle? 3:What's your water jacket (thermostat) temp? A: 1: No A: 2: Good idle A: 3: Temp gauge just below half way

Q: Sure the heating circuit is working? A: Not sure what is the wire color and what voltage should I look for?

Q: Wonder what would happen if you restricted the exhaust at the tips? Like cut it down to 1.25 inches, temporarily.. A: Good idea I will have local exhaust shop to make me a couple to replace tips

Q: You speak of the EGO in singular, just one? A: Yes 1 only CFI Auto GT

Reply to
Randy