Auto Transmission conversion questions

I am in the process of converting my 66 mustang from a top loader back to an automatic transmission. I have located a c-4 out of a 67 mustang and plan to use it but have the following question before I begin:

  1. Should this transmission bolt right up e.g. align with the slot in the floor or will I have to alter the hump to make it work?
  2. Can I use the cross member from the current set up with this auto transmission?
  3. Will I need to worry about the drive shaft being to long or short?
  4. Is there anything I should be aware before beginning this task?

Thanks in advance Dennis

DISCLAIMER: This post may not appear on horsepowered.com unless it and all others in the thread in question are unaltered and it is clearly stated that it stems from the RAMFM usenet newsgroup and the poster is not a member or guest of horsepowered.com but a RAMFM newsgroup poster.

Reply to
DDB

Dennis,

The driveshaft will have to be changed, as will the transmission mounts. The hole may have to be enlarged for your aftermarket shifter assembly, as the factory unit is not a direct "bolt in" affair. If your car original came with the automatic, then unless your floor was cut for the 4spd, you should be fine. Finally, as for being aware of anything else, make sure you have access to alternate transportation for when you find out your missing a bolt of two...................

Hope you find this helpful,

Sincerely,

Bill S.

DDB wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

LOL that's great you wouldn't believe how many left over bolts I've got. I went over this thing pretty thoroughly since I bought it and I have about 20 pounds of body filler I knocked out and replaced with metal, socks from the heater box, evidently used to help stem the flow of air and I even have the bony remains of rat who thought he could sneak through a couple of tight drainage holes.

It's a good thing I don't drive this in the winter, that should provide me plenty of time to round up the extra bolts :-)

As always thanks Bill.

Regards, Dennis

Reply to
DDB

LOL that's great you wouldn't believe how many left over bolts I've got. I went over this thing pretty thoroughly since I bought it and I have about 20 pounds of body filler I knocked out and replaced with metal, socks from the heater box, evidently used to help stem the flow of air and I even have the bony remains of rat who thought he could sneak through a couple of tight drainage holes.

It's a good thing I don't drive this in the winter, that should provide me plenty of time to round up the extra bolts. :-)

As always thanks Bill.

Regards, Dennis

Reply to
DDB

Years ago, I did this swap on my 67 convertible. I went from an M3 to a C4. (Yes I kept the parts so I can put it back someday.)

1) No modifications were required to the tunnel as Bill S. also said. However, before you install the torque converter, you will have to remove a bronze pilot bushing from the hub of the crankshaft for the manual transmission input shaft. I drilled mine out. Some people pack the hole with grease and force it out by putting a shaft in the hole. 2) The number three crossmember is identical for both transmissions. 3) At the time, I took the driveshaft from the donor car. They were identical and I didn't have to use it. 4) Wierd things you may encounter. a) There is a heavy spring on the porkchop (aka pedal support) that is a bear to hook up and remove. I think it was installed in one piece prior to the installation of the long shaft steering column. If you choose to undo the three bolts holding the bracket plate, be careful. b) My 67 used a different gas pedal because of the kickdown cable. There may be an extension you have to add to your gas pedal.

Regards, Tom Miller

Reply to
TM