Question for BlaBla

Ok, call me a traitor...;-)

I recently passed up on a chance to buy a 2003 350Z Base model, with all the Touring model options, Slip, ABS etc..w/51K miles on it in good shape for $16K. Looking at the cost of ownership and especially insurance didn't make economical sense to me, not when I have a near mint cond. '02 SC2 w/ similar mileage almost paid for.

Googling revealed that the '03 Z was a tire eater (was a recall on FE chassis alignmenets which seems was a regulary scheduled Nissan only maintenence visit every tire rotation) and a very rough ride. Then there was premium gas, 18-23 mpg (actual mpg I observed) and my insurance would have doubled.

Did I pass on a good car or was I smart in your opinion to keep my mint condition SC2? I know you know cars well. TIA.

Reply to
marx404

Ok call me biased.

Undeniably it is a far cry from economical. For its weight, size (2 seats), octane requirment, and power output it gets terrible gas mileage. If one really really wanted a modern day 2 seater I would suggest holding out for a deal on a used Sky Redline or Solstice GXP. And thats only if you can afford to keep a 4+ passenger daily driver. Then one can just insure the sports car during the warmist 6 months.

And wasn't it Nissan that was once caught overrating the HP of their engines? I have no love for Nissan... Honestly the only asian powered vehicle I wouldn't mind owning is the Pontiac Vibe GT. Thats a good looking, decent, and practical little vehicle. (with timing chain even!)

The 350z is no screaming deal, keep the Saturn obvously.

Reply to
BläBlä

Thanks, I feel better about passing it up then. I assume that if you like the Vibe (Matrix) that the Astra might be interesting also?

Reply to
marx404

Ya, isn't that Vince Burlapp purty? My GM sources claim that neither the new VUE nor the Astra will have timing belts, all will chains, but of course that is pre-production. No plans for the twin-hardtop yet though. Again, pre-production rumors are that GM may close some operation in Antwerp, Belgium (where the Astra is built) and relocate to GM Opel & Daewoo plants in other worldwide regions in the future to cut costs. Yo Qiero Saturn.

Reply to
marx404

I'm almost fed up. Why do they even both using belts anymore? They break, wear out, etc. Timing chains seem to be as good as the engineering (usually better than the engine itself - but I wont go there. They last as long as the engine doesn't overheat and is fed oil.) The chain is obviously far superior even in used cars as mine still apparently has a good chain after god knows how many miles and I purchased the car used, and abused. I was looking at KIA's as their prices are anything but unattractive - though they've got the timing belt. Sorry. This is another reason also why I wont touch a Chrysler. (I've got many.)

The cold facts are I put on up to and over 50k miles a year, and this isn't business related. Though I plan to make it, through photography and a few other things I"me perusing - this could increase. Most timing belts are rated at 60k miles - 140k miles. This would put my average cost to replace this over a car payment extra a year. No dice. That aint' reliable.

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Well the Vue will have the 2.4 so there is no reason for a change but the 1.8 is a smaller Ecotec used in Europe. If it is the ecotec they will be using...

I thought the entire concept of Saturn was to be "just like imports but NOT imported". Now its "just like imports cuz THEY ARE IMPORTS!" Before long I won't be interested in buying anything by anyone.

Reply to
BläBlä

I hope it isn't THAT ecotec engine! Saturn says it is a "new" engine for them, could they mean this 1.8 or a new chain driven one?

To answer Hypercube's question, put simply: Most engines yrs ago were belt driven. Saturn's claim to fame was polymer panels and chains. Belts do have their benefits though they must be changed at 50K intervals. Belt driven engines tend to run quieter than most chain driven engines. That's what I got from Googling and found many engines use belts, even Lexus for quiet operation and of course manufacturing cost. The only failure I know of with chains are oil lubrication issues.

Hmm, maybe I'll give another thought into a remaining '07 ION.

Reply to
marx404

Comment on timing chains in Chrysler engines below.

Chrysler has several engines that use timing chains (versus rubber timing belts). The 2.7L, 3.3L, and 3.8L are all excellent examples of highly reliable engines that come to mind. (The 2.7L pre-2001 was known to sludge so required frequent oil changes, but that issue seems to have been resolved through improved design. The 3.3L engine has been used since 1990 and has an excellent track record. The slightly larger, but otherwise nearly identical 3.8L uses the same engine block and timing mechanism.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

You got me curious, after looking around and a bit of much reading I don't believe that Saturn will us the older Ecotec belt driven engine, belts are still used in D-Tec though. Heres more.

marx404

Timing belts can last over 100,000 miles, if the manufacturer chooses to use a high quality belt. When I changed mine at 117,000 miles it was still in good condition and not showing any signs of cracking or splitting. I do not believe that timing chains should be trusted past

150,000 miles. Timing belts are far easier to change than chains and gears, and they permit the use of adjustable timing gears for those that want to upgrade their cams and fine tune their engines. Obviously I'm talking about an OHC engine and not a push rod motor. The timing belt for a push rod motor would be very short! :O

Gyz

marx404 wrote:

Reply to
Gyzmologist