Slight Problem with 1985 Mustang GT after Intake swap

Hi All,

Well finally got my Edelbrock intake installed and car is up and running. It's a 1985 5.0L Mustang Hatch back..............5 spd.

Car is running very very sweet with the new intake............but now according to my temperature gauge......when I cruise at 120km/h on a hot day.........I start to run pretty damn hot like my needle goes from 3/4 to all the way up to the "L" in normal. When I slow down, the temperature seems to go back down but not very much. It's really really weird. Rad is full and fairly recent. Thermostat was changed last year as was the radiator cap. Overflow jug has coolant in it. I am just not sure. Has anybody had this sorta problem. I also checked the oil and it's fine. Can anyone help?

Reply to
Steph

the carb jetting could be to rich, look for black smoke out the tailpipes,it could be to lean,no color on the spark plugs and the timing could be set too high or too low, your engine shouldn't need but about 36 degrees total,12-15 initial with the vacuum advance unhooked.

Reply to
winze

I was told my timing was set to 10 degrees for this application. See I am not the one who adjusted all this stuff. Supposedly all the necessary adjustments were made...........it ran fine for a little while temperature wise........but not too long after it started acting up like it is doing now. I have no clue what to do with this thing.

Reply to
Steph

btw......I saw black smoke but only when she got started up. After that it was ok.

Reply to
Steph

How is your coolant level.... the 5.0 isn't hard to purge the cooling system, but there are times when it can be reluctant. You almost have to overheat the things to get the thermostat to open... after that, you can put in close to another gallon of coolant mix.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Your fan clutch may have gone bad & the factory guages are junk anyway! I've seen them all go to the high side all at once,then return to normal! you might try an aftermarket mechanical guage & replace the thermostat with a 160 deg. unit & check the bottom water hose, it may be collapsing at anything but idle rpm, Fwiw if you ever replace the water pump get a 86 up pump, they were redesigned to move more water.

Reply to
winze

Be sure the gauge sender is seated enough to have a good ground. I had a similar problem and I traced it to that.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Reply to
Steph

Yes the sender is in the intake. You had to installit when you installed the new intake. The threads are covered with an insulating material and it needs to have a good ground. My gague was erratic until I fixed this.

LJH

95GT

temperature

Reply to