Question: 65 Galaxy

I can purchase this car right now, it apparently has a 351W in it (original). Is this engine the a good motor to throw in my 84 stang.......I had a 302 HO in it before!

the Galaxy has a broken frame but apparently the engine is strong.....I can get the car for next to nothing in price.....would this be a good purchase.....

Do I have to modify anything in my Stang in order to fit the 351...is it a direct swap?

I am new at this, so I don't mind all the information you guys can give me....

Thanks

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Another question: did the ford galaxy even come with a 351W.....I thought it was a 390....

please let me know!

Thanks

stang.......I

Reply to
Rick

The 351W didn't come out until '69.

If you have a use for the engine, and the rest of the driveline is in pretty good shape, it might be worth it. Plain Jane Galaxy's don't have a lot of value, because they are everywhere. And if this one has a cracked frame, it's really not worth anything. But if things are in good shape and you have the time/space/inclination, you could strip it down and part it out. I'm sure some of the smaller trim pieces and badges have some value to a restorer. Same with fenders, hood, etc, but they are harder to ship.

Reply to
boB

Thanks BOB - - I knew it wasn't right when the guy said it had a 351W in it.....

I was going to buy it for the engine, but now I have to find out what the engine is? What should I look for on the 351W as for specs.....how do I tell if it is a good year 351W. IS there a casting number I should look out for...

thanks for all the help

Reply to
Rick

The easiest thing to look at is the heads, near the exhaust ports. Windsor heads and FE heads are very different looking. FE heads and Cleveland heads can look similar to the untrained eye, though. If you do a search, you'll find lots of photos on the net. Windsor engines have a casting number on the bottom of the block, on a flat pad just above the starter. It can be pretty difficult to read on a greasy old engine. But the numbers follows standard ford nomenclature; C6=66, D6=76, etc. I don't think there are any "bad" windsor blocks. Some are better than others. And that becomes important when your building 600+hp. Otherwise they are all good. Later engines had a roller cam, so that's a nice thing.

Reply to
boB

C9 351 Windsors blocks are the strongest but they are all pretty decent. If they have C9 heads too that is a bonus. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

stang.......I

If it is the engine that is original to the car it could be a 289 small block or

FE 352 or 390. These two look alike, so casting numbers are required to tell them apart.

Of course after 40 years, who can say the engine is still original.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Most of the 1965 Ford Galaxie models came with an emblem on the front fender that indicates the engine size. The V8 engines available for that model and year are 289, 352, 390, 427 (and possibly the 428). The 352, 390, 427, and 428 are all in the same "FE" engine family. The 352 is a totally different engine than the 351.

John

Reply to
John

Yes the Ford Galaxy had many more Windsor block cars over the it's history than FE blocks..

Reply to
351CJ

The 351 was not even made until 1969 for any Ford. 1965 used 240 inline 6, 289,

352, 390, 427 v-8 engines
Reply to
DJRoe1

Boy don't I know it. I had a 69 Galaxy 500 fast back sport with a 351 4bbl. It was my "first" car in 1978. As I look back to all the cars I've had (85,89,95,99 stangs), I still wish I had that one in a garage just to have something to play with on weekends. Boy could that car go!

Reply to
Name withheld by request