Re: Kinda OT: Coolant Leak

I dunno that there is a way. There could be an old piece of gasket that's causing a bad seal, a defective gasket, lack of silicone sealant (if that's what was required or used) in that area, cracking or large scrapes in the gasketed surface, etc. To fix it properly, you'll have to disassemble and determine the cause of the leak. Trying to patch it up might work for a while, but in the end you'll probably spend more time and money trying to chase the issue than you would if you just fixed it once and got it over with. Could try to loosen the bolts and squeeze some RTV in, but if you used RTV around the entire cover already, you may create more problems than you solve by breaking the seal the rest of the way around. Also note that if you do this, it probably won't withstand much pressure as there is a very small amount that will actually get under the front cover.

JS

On my fiero... > > Put on a new timing chain the other day. > > Put the timing cover back on..waterpump back on on top of that... > > Everything running great now, except there is a minor coolant leak > between the timing cover and the block. Nothing internal (been > watching the oil like a hawk, so far so good). > > But it does seem to be leaking a bit to the outside (about 1 small > drop per second). > > All the pump bolts are tight, and I'm going to try to snug up the > couple lower cover bolts tomorrow when the engine is cold again, but I > don't think that'll do it as in the spot where it's leaking the pump > bolts are the #1 thing keeping this in place, and those are all tight. > > I'm guessing that I just missed a little piece of gasket in that > area... > > Anyone know a good way to seal this up w/out taking the cover and pump > back off? I seriously do not want to go through that again..... > > Thanks, > > Stephan >
Reply to
JS

Turned out that actually just tightening down the waterpump bolts fixed the problem. :)

Seems that I was too careful putting the 2nd waterpump on...my old one cracked into a dozen pieces when I had put it back on...and since the same bolts hold the timing cover and pump...the timing cover gasket I guess wasn't getting enough pressure from the bolts. Now everything's nice 'n dry :)

Now next on my list of course.....the slowly dying oil pressure.....

*sigh*..that'll be fun.

Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Rose