Req: Repair manual or assistance with 2002 Mustang

Question: Wife's mustang recently started hesitating (sputtering while driving), well tonight it actually quit and we could not get it restarted. The
engine turns over fine, but it doesn't seem to be firing (almost like its not getting fuel) -- i'm not very experienced with mustangs --and want to know if this is common among mustangs, and what could be the possible causes (and fixes - without breaking the bank) -- Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
The only real way to repair this concern without throwing part after part at it is to familiarize yourself with proper and logical diagnostic procedures. "Seems like" is NOT a good test result and will have you spending money like a drunken sailor.
I'd start with a code scan - ODDTCs get treated first - and the usual check of the basics.... spark, injector pulse, fuel pressure and work from there.
Sorry I can't be more help but you are about to find out why good techs want good bucks.

First, are you out of warranty ? If not, let the dealer figure it out. They'll come tow it.
If you are out of warranty;
Check the fuelpump first. When you switch your ignition to ON, do you hear the fuelpump buzz for a little bit (like 1 or 2 seconds?) if not, fuelpump is probably shot, or some fuse to it is shot. (also check the safety fuse in the trunk, it's probably not it since it started sputtering first.) Also make sure the fuel-filter is not clogged (replace it, especially if higher miles car) Next step is to check fuelpressure in the engine bay. Buy a fuel pressure tester and measure it after switching key to on (priming fuel system should get the pressure up to around 40psi) If that all works out to be okay you might have some ignition issue. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying
Just had this happen on my 01. First go into the trunk on the left hand side in the corner near the light you'll see a small slot that is were the fuel cutoff switch is located. Push down on the top and see if that helps. If not turn on the ignition and try to hear the fuel pump. If not chances are it's the fuel pump. When I had my problem I was running around. Car required gas pedal to start. Then seemed to be missing to the point of not holding an idle with out gas pedal then finally died. Couldn't get it started. Had it towed to dealer even though it was out of warranty by a couple of weeks. Turned out to be bad fuel pump fixed for free would have cost $500. Car runs better than ever did. Dealer was Williams Ford in Berea, Ohio I know shameless plug but they fixed it for free. I paid for the tow.