Semi OT: Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

I need a shifter for my 98 Mustang GT... anyone got a used one up for sale? :D

Reply to
<memset

I've heard nothing but bad things about that shifter. Check out the Pro 5.0 shifter.

Reply to
nerdymark

I, on the other hand, actually *own* one and use it. They're great. I do strongly recommend the MGW adjustable handle with ANY shifter.

The MGW handles are very strong, and adjustable so you can have it point in the right direction, AND actually fit two drinks in your cupholder when in 2nd or 4th gear! :)

Vic

2kGT 5m blk suspension upgrades
Victor DiMichina

Huh? I've got a steeda tri-ax in my '97 for 40,000 miles now and it's fine. Put one my dad's '99 when it was only a couple months old, a good 70K on it without a problem. The adjustable handle is good for people like me who don't want the tiny shifter handle. Only bad thing about it is the noise it pipes in, but that will happen with all the solid shifters. I put some sound deading foam over mine and that cut it down enough. (under the boot of course)

Reply to
Brent P

I'm with you Brent, love mine. I have the Steeda pistol grip shifter ( my wife wanted it) on it as well. Any noise I was getting in mine vanished with the aluminum drive shaft.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

An aluminum *driveshaft* made your shifter quieter? Jeez. I have a lowered Mustang, do you think that an alumi driveshaft would pose clearance problems? Also, what other benefits do you see/feel?

Thanks

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

Here's what one looks like on... what do you think?

your exhaust isn't dragging, your drive shaft shouldnt. Kate

| | An aluminum *driveshaft* made your shifter quieter? Jeez. I have a | lowered Mustang, do you think that an alumi driveshaft would pose | clearance problems? Also, what other benefits do you see/feel? | | Thanks | | | -- | Vic | 2kGT 5m blk | suspension upgrades |

SVTKate

Both the Steeda and the Pro 5.0 are excellent shifters. You can't go wrong with either of them.

To improve either, I heartilly recommend an MGW shift handle. I've tried them all and the MGW gets it done right.

To top it off, the classic Hurst ball shift handle improves shifting significantly (I know I it doesn't make sense but everyone that drives my car comments on how much better it is).

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Really. I'll check that out. I'm in the market for a decently-made, retro pistol-grip shifter made of real wood and stainless fasteners. The old Mopar design comes to mind first. I'll probably end up grabbing a hunk of walnut and start whittling here soon...

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

I thought it nonsensical at first, then I just realized the driveshaft he bought may be better balanced than the stock one. Also the material properites may change how noise is transmitted.

Reply to
Brent P

Well, what do you know. While at mgt.com, I saw a very nice, black/chromed T-handle that looked retro enough for Charlene. The $15.00 air freight option should have it in my hands by the middle of next week. Review to follow.

I like the look of the special-order Ford burl walnut knob on there now, but it's just not large enough for my big ol' hairy gear-jammin' paws. I *hate* skinny little shift knobs. Whatever happened to big, fat MEATY, MANLY shifters that filled the hands with plenty of that V-8 heat and vibration?

I suspect Charlene will become even more fun to drive later on next week. Thanks for the link, Vic.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

I'll second that, it's a fine addition.

The Crotch Viper '95 GT

(former Modless Wonder #1)

Reply to
CrotchViper

It stopped a lot of vibration (balanced correctly), which caused the noise to begin with. I'm also lowered and have no clearance problems, even with the driveshaft loop.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

I'd swear I just heard a "Tim Taylor grunt"

*wink*

Kate

| I suspect Charlene will become even more fun to drive later on next week. | Thanks for the link, Vic. | | | | -JD | | _________________________________ | JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: | http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams| | Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. | Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your | mail will never reach me. See my website for more | information.

Reply to
SVTKate

Like many of you, I like the shift handle I chose for mine. It has a ball shaped top, but has a bit more ergonomics to it, so that if I want to wrap my paw around it and get a good grip, it's there. The ball handles never quite fit my (hubby says "delicate little hands" .. but he's always up top something LOL) hand. I like this one because I don't lose my grip and it looks kinda sexy too!

Kate

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Which shift handle did you choose again?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Is it the tall one on:

?? I like the short leather one =)

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Here's a little bitty photo of it.

can get them on Ebay ..
like it, your mileage may differ. I got an error on the link, their site was down..

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

The URL wasn't complete. It's the link + the 61 on teh next like.. making

361.. instead of 3. Try that =).

-Mike

| 61 ?? I like the short leather one =)> |

Reply to
<memset

Kate,

The front of the shift handle looks blue in your picture. Is this the stock handle? Did you paint it? Am I hallucinating again?

By the way, I love my Tri-ax (and my Cobra).

Bob '03 Cobra coupe

I like it, your mileage may differ.>

| 61 ?? I like the short leather one =)> |

Reply to
Bob