Should Ford Counter This?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Sure with a Falcon Ute.

Falcon Guy

I was never a fan of the car/truck crossbreed. But can I get a G series shipped over to the States?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Ummmm.. this is going to be a sink or swim.... I'd rate it right up there with the Fiero, the Soltice and other niche vehicles....

The Mustang lives on... and still in RWD configuration.... Obviously, this is a big niche....

Some people would buy it.... Hell, people buy the Honda Element and that unGodly Toyota thingie.... Question is.... will enough people buy it to make it a profitable variation on a platform... or will it be a white elephant?

Jim Warman

They should bring out a modernized version of the original Falcon based Ranchero.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Unfortunately, there has to be a "why"....

Are we going to haul a camper with this puppy? Maybe a 30 foot fifth wheel? Don't think so...

Without buyers in sufficient quantity, there is no profit... if there is no profit... what's the use?

Reply to
Jim Warman

What was that camper-looking thing Pontiac had a few years ago? They couldn't sell it and it was butt ugly. Of course, if it was foreign branded it would have given everybody a woodie. When the Miata was super hot, Ford came out with the Australian-made Capri. Remember that? It didn't last very long and the build quality wasn't too good either. I think this thing would have to sell real good before Ford came out with another competitor for it.

Reply to
Kruse

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a23g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

As a 2-door it's too much of a niche vehicle to succeed IMO. As a 4-door with a shortened bed, it would blow the Ridgeline off the planet. Taking it a step further, I could easily see it as a crossover with a fully- enclosed rear and 3rd row seating.

Reply to
Joe

I've said and believe: if you could find a brand-new 1963 Falcon Ranchero you'd be set for life, two-seat car-wise. One of those and a nice four-door Station Wagon from the same era. What else could you ask for? Modern materials and technology? That'd be good.

Reply to
Frank ess

If they do it here in the States they need to bring over the Falcon Ute from down under. That Falcon Ute GT is a SCARY beast.

Scott W. '68 Ranchero 500, 302 '69 Mustang Sportsroof, 400W

Scott W.

"Kruse" wrote

The Aztek

Reply to
Scott W.

Why?? Because they look neat.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Hey... I still like the look of the Plymouth Prowler.... They "looked neat". Unfortunately, people base their purchasing decisions on more esoteric criteria....

I bought an 05 Mustang convertible... as a "toy", it fulfills all expectations... It's a passable "grocery getter" - my loving bride is all smiles when she drives it. As a car, it isn't really "sensible".... How many adults are going to fit in the back seat.... especially considering that the love of my life and I are both around 6 foot... I'm not about to put the dogs ( a Cocker and a BIG Shepherd ) in there.... Not about to put a trailer hitch on it...

My SuperCrew does most of the things I need... a little wimpy with the holiday trailer on the back..... but we all have our crosses to bear....

As far as "useful" goes... the Mustang falls flat on it's face.... But it is a wonderful toy....

Reply to
Jim Warman

[ ... ]

I agree with that. Now, if they'd make a Mustang Ranchero ...

Or, a two-door Mustang Kammback ...

Yeah, toy, fun, woo hoo.

Fun! .......... Photo by F. Mako Koiwai

Reply to
Frank ess

Here's an old ad. Did anyone ever actually see the "sedan delivery" version??

Ashton Crusher

OMG it's a Falcon Ranchero with a built-in steel camper! Although the phrase "Full-time economy" tells me that the Aussie idea of a Falcon is way different than the US idea was.

Reply to
WindsorFo

That's a neat advert. Thank you.

I had the '62 Ranchero. Marvelous tool. A local owner of a similar car had taken the top off a station wagon and made a tonneau cover for the bed of his.

I never saw asedan delivery, that I remember, but have an Aussie "Trax" model of one, as well as one of the the Ranchero, and several station wagons. And one Argentinian "Buby" model of a Falcon sedan. They were apparently made there at least as late as 1973.

"The Falcon model was presented by Ford in 1960 as a contribution to the 'compact car' tendency of that time. By reason of its conservative design, Ford Motors of Argentina produced it for almost 30 years, period which included plenty of stylling changes and improvements in its performance. This model represents a '73 version, which make it a unique Ford worldwide."

set of Falcon model photos. I have a couple of Sedan Delivery photos from alt.binaries.pictures.autos, but they are beyond reach at the moment.

Reply to
Frank ess