Should I sell this mustang?

I have a '94 GT Convertible that's leaking oil and coolant. It'll cost $3000 dollars to fix. It has 131,000 miles on it and otherwise appears to be in pretty good shape. The tranny was rebuilt 3 years ago. I love the car but is this thing going to be a money pit now or does it still have some years left in it.

Thanks so much in advance. I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.

Reply to
Scott Paffrath

Well Scott, sounds like you have some maintenance issues. Have you looked at the causes for these leaks? If they are merely hoses or gaskets then you would be foolish to be rid if it. You have already kept it past it's prime value. At this point it's a matter of whether you want to keep it for sentimental reasons of if you want something else. Is it worth more to you as a trade in or as a car to drive without payments?

With 131k on the clock, it is going to show some wear. Leaks are a start. Have you kept up on the maintenance like you are supposed to? If you have you may be able to get many more trouble free miles out of the car. If you have neglected it then you are probably in for trouble.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
Reply to
SVTKate

Determine the cause of the leaks & then tell us. Who quoted $3,000 to fix it?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

seems like you should be able to replace the entire engine for 3000.00 or atleast the block and heads. Defiant

Reply to
Defiant

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:31:36 -0800, Scott Paffrath wrote something wonderfully witty:

What idiot told you it was going to be $3K to fix and what were they planning to do for that amount?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Get a second opinion before you do anything. About 4 years ago we had a transmission fluid leak on our '80. My wife took it to a national transmission chain and they quoted an unbelievable amount to replace gaskets. We decided that since it was a slow leak we'd wait for it to get worse and just top it off for the time being. When it was in for an oil change the mechanic noticed the leak coming from the filler tube. He replaced the o-ring for something like 1/2 hour of labour.

Reply to
D.K.R.

D.K.R. opined in news:FRELd.91135$Ob.86877@edtnps84:

buying aerostar cheap.. one reason, seller tells me shop says it needs new rack cause it leaks.. 450estimate.

Buy it.

Look close - pressure switch is leaking.. 20 dollar part, 15 minute fix

Now have a 200,000 mile Aerostar that doesnt leave a drop on the driveway - knock wood

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

First of all you need to know what exactly is leaking. 3K sounds absurd to me.

If you've kept up with maintenance, this car will last a lot longer. I sold a 95GT last year with 92K miles on it and it didn't burn a drop of oil more than at 20K miles.

So, even if you DO need a somewhat pricey repair.. What's the alternative ? High payments ? if money is tight, I'd keep it. It's cheaper than high payments on a new or newer car.

Rein