What should I do? Sell?

Okay, I might be making a mistake. I was driving to the bank today in the Cruiser when a guy comes up besides me and starts motioning to me. He asks me "how much you want for that". I told him it wasn't for sale, but he said "everything has a price, how much you want"? I hollered out I'd take $8500 if I was going to sell. He yelled at me to pull over, so I pulled over in my bank parking lot.

Bottom line, he wants to buy my Studebaker and wanted to go inside the bank and get cash right now. I probably should have done it, but dang, I don't really want to part with this Stude. I KNOW I could probably find another one for that kind of money, and jeez $8500 would be $2300 more than I paid for it.

Am I going to regret this if I do it? He says he's calling me in the morning and wants a decision. Can I find another REALLY NICE Stude for $8500? The only reason I'd even consider it is I'd like to have a V8 and a 64 or earlier, maybe even a GT as long as it was presentable. Mines a 4-door and 6 cylinder to boot (pretty low on the food chain).

What would you do?

Mark

65 Cruiser
Mark Anderson

itraseecab

I had the same thing happen at a cruise-in a couple years ago... I never will give someone a price again, I'll ask what they're offering.

I used to tell people to add a 0 to the end of the window sticker and most walk way. The sticker price is $3,645.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Depends. Did you just buy this car, or is this a car that you've been through and know and trust? If the former, maybe selling and buying something more desirable might be an option. If the latter, you should get a little more silly when someone asks you to name a price.

I probably wouldn't take less than 12K for my '55 right now; it's certainly not worth it open market but it's worth that much to me, because I've seen all the whirly bits.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
John Poulos

Yeah, but remember that advise is coming from someone who doesn't keep a car for more than 3 weeks.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Well if you wanted to sell it, or planed on selling it, there would have been a for sale sign in the window. So don't worry about a disappointed "buyer". If you are not ready to consider selling now, you could offer to give him first notice if you change your mind. Or help him make a good deal with local club member. You can do the Ben Franklin method. Divide a piece of paper in half and write all the positives of the idea in one side and all the negatives on the other. Is there a car or model you would prefer? and would this help you make the upgrade? But be sure to put your enjoyment on the list somewhere. Most of us own for the enjoyment of driving and pride of ownership. And mine is like family pet. So there may be non-monetary reasons to keep it, at least for now. Most of us can identify with that. I mean if we were doing this for money we could do something else and work less for more. If you don't go ahead refer him to JP. He can hunt one down for him. Invite him to the local SDC meet in any case. And send him a link to the Studebaker web ring. Push him down the slippery slope of Studebakerdom. He will either thank you or curse your name. Or both. If you do go ahead; there are a few guys here who can give you info on how to not get scammed by fake cashier's checks and what not. Tony in Austin

Reply to
Tony in Austin

Reply to
John Poulos

Aw, come on - you want an earlier pre '65 - you desire the V-8, you have a "live" prospect!

Pull the trigger if he calls you & go for the adventure of finding another!

That;s exactly what I did! His first offer was 12 grand, (you saw the pics of mine before you bought yours) we settled a little higher! I'm still looking for another & yes it is an adventure, but like John said, with that kind of $$$ for a 4 door you can buy 2 more

gaboy

Reply to
GABOY

Just my .02 worth. I believe you should always go with ur gut feeling. If you see a different car in the future, now might be that time. Later on when you decide to sell, you may find out that, he offered you, a really fair amount for the car. I don't even know what car you have , or for that matter , what it is worth. I'm just going by personnal experience.

Reply to
Tex

You should sell! ! ! ! Then you could buy the one I just found for $5000. It has a rebuilt V8, AT, PS, PB, all new rubber, new suspension, cold 134 AC, new upholstery, new paint, and new tires and brakes. Good luck.

Reply to
Sals54

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
jerrystudebaker

As a matter of fact, I DO like this car, even with the six. This just came so out of the blue, and felt shaky for some reason. I'll wait and see if he calls.

Mark

65 Cruiser
jerrystudebaker wrote:
Reply to
Mark Anderson

There were, for all practical purposes two choices for both of you and you had first choice:

1 - walk away with $8500 2 - drive away in the car. You selected the car. Effectively, you just rebought that car.

Karl

Mark Anders> Okay, I might be making a mistake. I was driving to the bank today in

Reply to
midlant