Sick gas gauge

I have a '66 Mustang coupe with an inoperative gas gauge. At this point, I'm betting it's the sending unit in the tank as opposed to the gauge itself. Is there a simple test I can do with a DVM to determine if the sending unit is good, before I go out and buy one?

Reply to
Dan O'Reilly

IIRC.... tank empty = 15 ohms.... tank full = 90 ohms. Use a small test light to probe the wire to battery ground.... it should flash. Open circuit, the guage should read full and grounding the wire, the guage should read empty (don't leave it grounded for too long).

HTH.

Jim Warman

Thanks for the quick response!

I assume you mean ground the hot wire from the sending unit to the gauge, right? I should be able to touch that to the same ground the sending unit uses, right? And across the 2 terminals (wires disconnected) I should be able to read between 15 and 90 ohms, I'm assuming?

Reply to
Dan O'Reilly

Yep.... I had thought that yours was still the old single wire sender.... shorting the two wires together should result in a full reading at the guage. Yes, across the terminals on the tank unit, you should have between

15 and 90 ohms......

Jim Warman