SVT Cobra verses Mach 1... ?

Thanks! That's a nice comparison.

So why does the SVT Cobra "only" have 80 more HP than the Mach I withOUT a supercharger ???

Reply to
Katmandu

The Cobra is built for forced induction, but Ford used a very conservative tune. Although the Cobra is rated at

390 horses, a show room stock Cobra will dyno between 350 and 380 RWHP which is more like 100 more horses than the Mach 1. The Mach uses what is essentially the old Cobra motor tweaked for more torque, it's high compression wouldn't handle more than 6 lbs of boost very safely. The Cobra can easily be moved up into the 450 RWHP range with intake, exhaust, pulley, and chip tune. A KB twin screw blower swap will get you into the 600 RWHP range, and the forged internals will handle every bit of that and more.
Reply to
Michael Bolden-King

Daaauuumm!

Reply to
Katmandu

Hey,

I've had my 03 Mach 1 for about 3000 miles now and that thing is damn sweet! It is just now loosening up a bit. As for the ride, I can feel the road but the ride is not rough. I just drove it from Tennessee to Connecticut and enjoyed every minute of it. Very smooth on smooth roads. It corners very well and is responsive.

The engine makes plenty of power. Enough so that at redline the back end gets a little squirrely. It makes a nice throaty V8 noise at the low end and gets a little loud at the high end. But I like it that way. At cruising speeds (70-90 mph) the engine is very quiet and smooth.

As for overall driveability, I believe it is excellent. I wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe a Cobra).

So as you can tell I'm a fan. The only comparison I have though is a

1983 GT I owned as a 16 year old. I would highly recommend this car to anyone who wants an excellent compromise between speed, power, and driveability. I would definitely drive the suits around in this thing.

BTW, what are the major differences between the Mach1 and Cobra?

Allen

Reply to
Allen Forsythe

Different tire and wheel sizes, different springs and shocks, IRS, lower compression, iron block, forged internals, different cams, supercharged and intercooled, different seats, and a few other minor differences.

Reply to
Mike King