This may sound like a silly question about timing...

How many times a revolution does the spark plug fire? I'm guessing 1:2 turns. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
D.L. Man

Depends on both which motor and which conditions.... Older vehicles are generally one spark per cylinder per TWO revolutions... this would be in a four stroke cycle engine. A two stroke cycle engine would have one spark per cyclinder each revolution.

Here's where it gets cloudy..... Many modern auto engines use a wasted spark ignition system.... One coil fires two cylinders. As one cylinder sparks at the onset of the power stroke, its running mate sparks during the exhaust stroke..... One spark per cylinder per revolution. Other modern engines feature COP ignition systems (Coil On Plug). These systems feature a multistrike condition at low rpm much like performance ignition systems. At low rpms, the plug will fire more than once but only during the power stroke.

Who knows what the future might bring? We see the hybrid Escape with what is termed an "Ackerman" cycle engine... simply a variation on the "Otto" cycle engine we have become familiar with but a significant advance in it's own right. Bio-diesel, other alternate fuels, hydrogen fuel cells.... who knows where this stuf will go next?

Reply to
Jim Warman

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:02:08 -0600, "D.L. Man" wrote something wonderfully witty:

What engine?

Reply to
ZombyWoof
5.0 4 stroke, stock ignition.
Reply to
D.L. Man

cut your rpm in1/2 and ya have the answer

ya foctard

h u r c a s t

Reply to
bambam

lmfao hybirds are old tech warman

h piper holds the patent in 1905 ya foctard

as well as steam vehicles people played with electric vehilces too in early 1900

the internal combustion engine vechicle is a HYBIRD of the eternal combustion electric vehicle and and the electric vehicle

mass production started by toyota in 1992 who played around with the shiy since 1965 the prius tops sales too insight was 1998

ya foctard good thing ya can spell because ya sure are stupid

hurc ast

Reply to
gcarmingiha

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:vdsea1te6msflktcke9ofrjgv9ms2ron26@

4ax.com:

hurc you are a stupid shit.

The question was how many times per a revolution does the spark plug fire. The answer is 1 time every two revolutions of the crank for a 4- stroke (barring a MSD type ignition)

If someone asked how many times a certain spark plug will fire in one minute, THEN you can say cut the RPM in half.

For all spark plug firings in a per minute mode, take the RPM, divide by

2, then multiply by the # of cylinders.

You fail day one.

Reply to
Kevin

LMFAO lets reread the question does the spark plug fire LMFAO it does not say spark plugs LMFAO BWHAHAHAHA foctard learn to read

h u r c a s t

Reply to
gcarmingiha

Thanks for your help in this. I think you have been very helpful.

Reply to
D.L. Man