Transponder/PATS Problem?

Help! I just purchased a 98 Mustang GT yesterday. I was so excited until I was home after a few hours and tried to start the car. It wouldn't start the "Theft" alert just kept blinking. I have no power, no nothing. I bought the car from a used car lot, and only have one key. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I don't know what to do. I don't want to take it to the Ford Dealership, because then we're talking $$$$$$$$$.Help Please!!!

Reply to
MckinneyStang

If you have no power, no nothing, then you need a new battery.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Check to see if there is a Code Alarm(Ford approved remote start) installed. If so, and the starter lockout is enabled, you may need a prograamed FOB to start the car or you can bypass the lockout wiring.

This is only one possibility... why not contact the car lot???

Reply to
Jim Warman

The PATS system will allow the motor to crank over but just not start. If you have no power, there is something else causing your problem. An aftermarket alarm w/ignition interupt, bad clutch interlock switch, neutral safety switch, starter solenoid, ignition switch, etc. would be the most common cause provided battery is good. Make sure car is in PARK or NEUTRAL if auto, or clutch is FULLY depressed if manual while starting.

Hope this is helpful

Tim (Musttanguy) PonyPerformance.com

Reply to
Musttanguy

lmfao she started with a non pats duplicate key better get out that WDS LMFAO

h u r c a s t

Reply to
abbotsford90210

Thanks everyone for all of your help. It's great to know that you guys are out there. I'm a newbie with Mustangs so I'll probably need your expertise again. I ended up going to the Ford Dealership and the serviceman recommended that I disconnect the battery, and let the car sit for awhile and then the computer can reset itself. lo and behold two-three hours later. The car started right up. Thanks everyone

Reply to
MckinneyStang

Is this true? I have a 2000 Contour and it has the PATS system. It will not crank. One of my keys is flaky, only cranks with it in one way. Turn it upside down and the ignition will come on but the LED flashed quick and it will not crank.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

your full of shit h u r c a s tr