What oil can I use?

Hi, I need to change oil in my '65 mustang (289ci). Can anybody tell me what oil I need to get for the motor and automatic transmission, I know the original (1965) specifications, but not what oil type it would be in (European) standards.

Many thanks in advance Chris

Reply to
Chris Bus

You can use pretty much any multi-grade oil you want. The engine really won't be that picky about it. If it's pretty cold where you live and drive, use a 5W or 10W. For the other number, pick a viscosity that maintains your oil pressure at about the middle of the gauge. Oil that is too heavy puts a strain on the pump drive mechanism, and reduces overall efficiency. As for dino vs. synthetic, that's up to you. Either one will work just fine, and both have their advantages.

Reply to
.boB

Okay thanks, the reason I ask is that I dont want to get trouble with rubber gaskets while using synthetic oil. How about the automatic transmission? Any tips here?

.boB wrote:

Reply to
Chris Bus

i put Type F auto transmission fluid in my 65

Reply to
Noah

I would avoid Corn or Canola.. Peanut may be ok...

*snikker giggle*

Had to... sorry!

Mobile 1 or a good synthetic might be best. Kate

Reply to
SVTKate