What's your brake pad preference?

Time for some new front pads...Raybestos or Hawk? Never tried the Hawk pads, heard good things about them. Probably going to try them, so the more pertinent question is: Ceramic or semi-metallic?

Or should I starve the kids and get Steeda's 13" Cobra upgrade kit? (not expecting spousal approval on that one, though)

Wabbitslayer

01 GT vert
Reply to
wabbitslayer

Never heard of Hawk. I've always been satisfied with Raybestos PG Plus. They are pretty dark so they have a higher metal content, seeem to wear well. I also used Napa premium pads on an OT 4-wheel-disc car and they were the best pads I have ever used. Put them on at 140,000 miles, and when the car was stolen at 177,000 miles, the brakes were still great. I'm running Raybestos on all 4 corners of my 99 'vert and when it's time to re-do, I'll probably go with the Napa Premium.

If you do go with Hawk, please let everyone know what you think. Initial quality, longevity and performance would be good to know.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Hawk/Raybestos/Porterfield are all the same company.

I've been very very happy with Hawk HPS pads for street applications and HP+ for the track. One step up is Porterfield, but you'll get a lot more dust.

Cheers,

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Ritz

One thing I forgot to mention.. I tried Ceramic pads on an OT car, and they were TERRIBLE. TONS of dust and NO stopping power.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I've had PowerSlot rotors and Hawk pads on the LX for years and they're still great. dwight will probably tell you the same thing.

"Carl" wrote in news:cdmdnRo1Kb7WWkPenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Joe

I have Hawk pads on my Cobra. Great on the street. They work right away, don't need a warm up to work well. They do work better when warm, though. Also good on the track. Used them kind of hard on a few long track days. Not racing, just driving fast for fun on a road course. But hard on the brakes through the corners. Excellent feel all day long.

Reply to
.boB