Windsor distributor in Cleveland??

I got my '70 Sportsroof back from my engine builder today complete with a freshly rebuilt engine and with the ignition upgraded to MSD. In the car was the box from the Pro Billet distributor which I was about to bin, when I glanced at the application sticker - it reads 351W!!

I checked the part number on the box and the distributor (8578) on the web, and it is definitely for a Windsor - 8577 would be right for the Cleveland application. I've driven the car 55 miles home and it is running well (obviously took it steady as I'm running it in), but there appears to be good power below 3000 rpm other than a small flat spot on very very light throttle openings which is not obviously rpm related.

I can't speak to the engine builder until next week now to get his side of the story, but obviously I'm concerned. Is there any possible reason for going with the Windsor distributor over the Cleveland one?

Anyone know the difference between the two and the possible effects / problems this could cause?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Allen

Just to clarify, as I edited it out when tidying up my previous post(!), the engine in the car is a 351c 4v

Mark

Reply to
Mark Allen

You need to repost this over in alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury

You'll definitely get the right answer there!

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Hello,

I'd be definitely scared about that. About ten years ago, my friend and I (when we were poor teenagers)swapped out a tired Windsor for a Cleveland he got freshly rebuilt as present from his uncle. In saving some money my friend put back the Windsor Distributor. A couple days later, the engine stopped and traced it to the cam gear being all chewed up! If I can recall, I think the Cleveland distributor had a bigger gear then the Windsor distributor, hence why the cam gear got chewed up.

Reply to
hamwitty

Thanks for the response - I've now clarified that the engine builder swapped the gear over from my old Mallory distributor and have received a reply from MSD technical support who have confirmed that the 8577 and 8578 are identical other than the gear and the height (Windsor one is slightly taller).

I'm taking it back to the builder for a re-torque and a rolling road session once it is run in, so I'll get him to check for cam / gear issues then (unless anything surfaces before then...)

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Allen