260Z Power steering ?

Is it possible ( feasible ) to put power steering on a 260Z ( Australian spec ) ?

I 'm really looking for a nice Z ( ZX ) classic, but want to be able to drive it everyday...and I live in a "no through road" ...which mean 3 point turns everyday too !

Any help advice would be great..thanks

Cheers,

Brian Canham snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.net.au

Reply to
Hi-Soft

I looked at this as a customer asked if we could do this while we were swapping the turbo engine from an 83 ZX into his 76 280Z. The rack mounting points are different and it would require a major hack/fabricate of the front cross member to allow the rack to sit in the car at the right angle to attach the steering shaft as the power rack is really thick where the steering shaft connects. I doubt any power rack would be an easy fit. He didn't want to pay what it would cost for this and I doubt anyone else would either? These cars don't steer that heavy IMHO to need pwr steering anyway.

If you have to have pwr steering, get a ZX that already has it. The early ZX's had recirc ball steering while the 83's had a power rack which works much better.

Reply to
Steve

yeah..I thought that might be the case...thanks for you help any way...looks like I'm back on the hunt for a ZX then..

Reply to
Hi-Soft

Learn to do handbrake turns.

Just kidd> Is it possible ( feasible ) to put power steering on a 260Z ( Australian > spec ) ?

Reply to
John Coyote

"Hi-Soft" snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.net.au> wrote in news:yQMCb.51331$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

My '77 has factory PS. It should'nt be that hard to put into a '74 - at worst you just swap out the front suspension (4 or 5 hours tops).

Reply to
Holden McGroyn

Even with 3 point turns, it makes absolutely no sense in putting power steering on a z.

The steering is too light as it is. Get another car, like a 280zx, which has power steering if it is necessary.

You are talk>Is it possible ( feasible ) to put power steering on a 260Z ( Australian >spec ) ?

Reply to
Dog

Where are you located? They never installed PS on US spec cars. Only 79 and later ZX's.

Reply to
Steve

yep ... I hear ya... 280ZX it is going to be ... I don't need a hard 'n fast sports car any way...just a nice cushy sports cruiser !

Reply to
Hi-Soft