91 Pathfinder brakes question

We are trying to resurrect a neglected 91 Pathfinder (4WD, 360k miles). We have it running well, but are still having problems with the brakes. They stop fine, good pedal, etc, but the ABS light is on all the time, and if you press hard on the brake pedal at idle, it stalls the engine. I don't thik the problems are related, but am not sure. Could the stalling indicate a bad booster or vacuum leak? How can we troubleshoot the ABS? Thanks - Brian

Reply to
Brian

Sounds like a vacuum leak in the line or booster. Forget the ABS. Fix it with a piece of electrical tape over the light.

Reply to
Rob Munach

The ABS failed on my '91. My mechanic

that it be disconnected. I haven't missed it through twoCanadian winters -- or summers, for that matter.-- Andrew Chaplin SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin

How do you disconnect the ABS? Brian

Reply to
Brian

Piece of tape over the light is the easiest way. If you are purist, also pull the fuse so the pump doesn't try to run.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I believe the mechanic cut the wires to the pump and taped them off.

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin