1999 sentra 2 litre - How many miles will this last?

I have a Nissan Sentra 1999 with the 2 litre engine? How many miles will this run for. I have 198,000 miles on it now and it sounds great to me. I have signifigant body rust near the rear wheels and I am debating on whether to have it fixed.

The engine sounds better than a lot of new cars I hear.

Thanks

Danielle

Reply to
DanielleOM

Your question is unanswerable. It depends on how well it has been maintained and how well it will continue to be maintained. It could run for another 198,000 or it could blow up in the next 2 miles.

If the car has significant body rust, then it most likely will die from that. Have it checked for structural soundness (rust in the places that actually hold it together) and make your decision based on that.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I've got (amongst other cars) a 97 sentra/pulsar. The problem with older/high mileage cars is in my opinion, reaching some point where the cost of continued maintenance should be balanced against the inevitable depreciation cost of what you replace it with.

198,000 miles is getting high. If it's on the original auto box, then that might need replacing (used replacement probably much less cost than repair). If it's a manual, then the gearbox might be okay, but it will probably need a new clutch sooner rather than later. Where I am, realistic value for the car is probably about US$1,000 - $1500. A clutch or used auto gearbox replacement would probably cost most of that in labour and parts. If you can (and are prepared to) do it yourself, then that's perhaps different, but if you pay for maintenance, that's another thing. There's a zillion other things that could or probably will require maintenance. New disk rotors, bearings/hubs, clutch/brake cylinders, airflow meter, distributor, etc etc. Each "event" on it's own not terminal, but combined it adds up to a significant cost and nuisance value. My advice - sell the car now. Get a quote to fix the rust, balance that cost against what it's worth. If it's reasonably tidy and runs well, then it's still worth something even with a bit of rust. If it's got that mileage and has some other significant problem, then it's junk.
Reply to
Me

Mine is the 1999 Sentra SE limited edition with the SR20DE engine. It's great running and great looking car. I would swear the engine sounds better today than a lot of new cars. I have a manual transmission with the original clutch. There are no signs of slipping yet. Maintenance costs to date including new tires have been less than a $1000 per year. I live in a state where there are property taxes on vehicles. I find that alone makes me think twice about buying a new car.

Danielle

Reply to
DanielleOM

"DanielleOM" wrote in news:hvi8ku$aik$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I'd keep it,and it appears you have done well with the routine maintenance. You might have a Nissan dealer hook it up to their diagnostic machine,they might be able to tell you if something is marginal,like oxygen sensors.It's not a must-do,though.

The rust repair depends on where it is located,if the body part is replaceable,or a piece has to be cut out and a new one fabricated and welded on.That can run into some money.

But hey,you really like your car,and it runs well,so it's worth at least getting an estimate for the rust repairs and new paint.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I Have 348,000 miles on my 1992 SE-R (has the SR20 engine also) Has almost 90% of original compression. Only had to replace 2 injectors, water pump (what a pain that was) and a starter. Shes one of the best engines Nissan has ever made.

Reply to
Louis

I have only 70,000 miles on my 97 Nissan 2.4 PU. At the rate I'm going (70,000 in 13 years), I'll never see 200,000 miles, much less 348,000 miles. I may request that I be buried in it. :-)

Reply to
willshak