96 Nissan Sentra: How to determine which pulley is squealing??

My 96 Nissan Sentra XE began to have squealing sounds come from the engine today. After opening the hood, I could hear that it was from the pulley area of the engine. It sounds like it is one of the bearings of one of the pulleys. How do I determine which pulley or unit it is coming from?

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

You've already ruled out that it could be a loose belt?

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Here's a trick that an old-timer showed me years ago. Use a stick (a broom handle without the broom works great) and put one end on the suspect part, while you place your ear near the other end against the stick. Does a great job of isolating and magnifying sounds--lets you hear where the bad bearings, etc. are.

Of course, don't place the stick on a moving part like a belt. And I'm not +really+ recommending anyone try this, because if they hurt themselves they'll blame me! :)

Reply to
Al Cunniff

Try taking the belts off one by one.. and the broom stick trick may work..I use a long screwdriver..

Reply to
Mark Iezzi

if its a loud screeching noise its going to be a loose belt, ribbed belts need to be much tighter than the older "V" belts. a bearing will be more of a dull sound rather than a screech. (in most cases)

Reply to
steve