85 pickup

I have a 85 se v6 hardbody 4x4, when you turn the key to the on position, the injectors start spraying fuel into the manifold before you even try to start it. what controls this? is the computer broken? thanks

Reply to
cwr68

this is normal for a fuel injected vehicle, its supposed to shoot some fuel to aid in starting.

Reply to
Shawn

when it sprays it does not stop, it will flood the truck. you have to unplug the fuel pump relay and crank the truck to clear the manifold of the exceess fuel. thanks

Reply to
cwr68

ya got me on that one

Reply to
Shawn

I am not familiar with your truck, but on most cars I've seen the injectors are controlled directly by the computer. On most cars there are some resistors in line but they would not cause them to be open.

Can you get the truck started after you clear the excess fuel? And does it then run normal?

The injectors are supposed to get a 12V pulse periodically, controlled by the computer. I'd make sure you don't have constant 12V on them while the car is running. I'd imagine the car would flood or not run right, if that was the case..

Have you tried resetting the computer (taking battery off and leaving it off for a bit)? Maybe it 'stepped in the weeds', much like most PCs do from time to time.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Your turning it into the ON position? Isn't that the position the key uses after you start the truck? I know my 89 has an ACC, ON, START and OFF positions.

Reply to
clevere1

the truck runs fine if you unplug the fuel pump after it has loaded the manifold full of fuel. it does not pulse it is just a constant spray, before you try to start it. have tried removing battery cable to reset but no luck.

Reply to
cwr68

Sounds like you either have a bad sensor, bad computer, or a grounding problem. Check the block and make sure all sensor connections are still connected to the sensors. If you have a book, look at your book and test your sensors, then check your ground points. It is quite possible your computer went into a fit. Is this a v6, or a 4 cyl?

Reply to
clevere1