95 Pathy stalling

HI,

Does anyone have this problem??? My Pathy, every 6-8 months, stalls when I stop. The rpm's fluctuate and then it dies, starts up again no problem, and driving on the freeway is no problem, unless I have to stop: ) . If I clean the throttle body it runs fine for a while...until now. The throttle has been cleaned three times in the last month and a half, my mechanic can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Hyde

Reply to
Hyde

All I could suggest is adding some Injector cleaner to your gas, but Im sure youve already done that.......

Reply to
Just me :)

Either it's not getting enough gas or oxygen at idle. I'm not an expert on these engines, but there are a few simple things you can check-- do you have the correct gas cap? (vented/non vented) Do you have a good inline gas filter near the engine? Another thing to check is the fuel pump strength, your mechanic can hook up a meter and drive the car around while watching the meter. Might be delivering enough fuel at some rpms but not at idle.Could be a non-functioning fuel injector. I'd also replace plugs, spark plug wires, distributer cap, make sure the spark is good. Check any oxygen sensors (if the truck is 10 years old it's time for that anyway).

--if you figure it out, please post -- I'm curious!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Since the problem is taken care of by repeated VERY frequent cleaning of the throttle body (due to a buildup of `junk' around the plate) then you know where the problem lies, but not the cause for needing that service done so frequently.

Only 2 things come to mind, both of which relate to improperly or totally unfiltered air getting into the throttle chamber and gumming the plate up.

First, are you using ANYTHING other than a genuine Nissan air filter? If so, stop it! Use the real deal.

The other one I've only seen a few times in the shop but given, like mine, that your Pathfinder is now 9 years old, the problem becomes more likely. Have your technician remove the air intake hose (big, ribbed rubber flex hose that connects the throttle body to the air intake box) and put a light inside of it while looking at the outside and see if there is any light coming through while he/she flexes that hose. These can (and will in time) develop little slits/cracks between those `ridges' that will let unfiltered air in and gum up the works VERY quickly.

Wil

Reply to
Truck