Air Bag question

I was riding behind a new Jetta that was being towed. It had apparently been involved in a minor accident, the right rear quater panel had been hit and just the passenger side curtain air bags front and rear been deployed. I always thought that when the car felt an impact strong enough to deploy the airbags, ALL the bags were inflated. By looking at the Jetta it seems that the bags were only inflated on the "hit" side of the car. How do they really work???

Reply to
Rakblight2

Been watching too many car chases in movies?

Reply to
Joe

Makes no "cents" to blow all the bags unless needed. It's all controlled by the airbag ECU and various sensors built into system.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yep, and if the computer knows that the impact won't harm the passengers at all nothing deploys. My friend took a pretty good hit to his front drivers side fender, and nothing happened, he was happy as the car would most likely have been written off if the bags blew.

Reply to
Rob Guenther