Cost to replace '96 Infiniti G20 clutch?

Several years ago I had to have the clutch cable replaced at about

80k, and the dealer told me that I'd be wise to keep an eye out for slippage at 120k. If I drive it hard, the clutch does slip a bit before it fully engages now, at 115k.

The car is otherwise in good shape.......still has the original battery and has never failed to start in 8 Chicago winters........and has been ultra-reliable, so I'd like to keep it for a while.

How much should I expect to pay at an independent shop? Dealer had suggested over $1k and that seemed way out of line--and immediately admitted that they'd not replaced any for a very long time. Frankly, the tech there who installed/adjusted the replacement cable didn't know what he was doing......the car seemed as if it started creeping forward as soon as I thought about lifting my foot, much less actually moved it! Makes me think that they don't know that much about the sticks.......

Reply to
Steve Jarzombek

Not way out of line but is on the high side. Using good parts and someone besides a "shade tree" mechanic, including new rear engine seal, turning the flywheel and axle seals etc, about $700-$750.

Reply to
Steve T

For a clutch in that car ? Sounds a little steep. Is there something special about that model ?

Reply to
Bob

That does sound pretty high. FWIW, a couple years back I was quoted $550 for labour from my local dealer (I wanted to use non-OEM parts) to replace the clutch in my '93 Nissan Sentra SE-R...pretty much the same driveline as the G20. I ended up doing the job myself.

Brent.

Reply to
brentlz

around $2,000

Reply to
David Rennick
Reply to
David Rennick

The SE-Rs and the G20s from 91-96 are practically identical in that respect.

Reply to
Monte

Nah, he pulled that amount out of his ass

Reply to
Rex