Electronic Freon Leak Detectors on ebay

Does anyone here have any experience with ANY of the electronic freon leak detectors that are being sold on ebay? I have a 94 Sentra with a very slow R134a leak, about a 12 oz. can per year, and Pepboys wants near

60 bucks just to tell me where the leak is. The low cost detectors on ebay are less than Pepboy's service price. I suspect the leak is in the evap core since I see no visible signs of refrig oil anywhere.
Reply to
whois

The cheap detectors won't find a leak that small. And if you already UV dyed and charged the system and can't find the leak anywhere else, it has to be the evap that leaks.

When you pull it out it will be a disgusting nasty looking blob, especially at that age.

IME, GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I got one of the inexpensive detectors from Harborfreight.com, fortunatelly at a local store. It was supposed to work with R12, R22 and R134.

I had a larger leak on my home a/c.

I ran the detector all over the evaporator coil to no avail, not a single faster beep, after calibrating and doing everything right. Then I put my hand in the evaporator unit and i felt the leak with my hand. Followed the leak and pinpointed it on the evaporator. Putting the detector on the spot, it took 45 seconds to start beeping faster. I returned the detector.

You can get the dye at your autoparts store, and the urine detector flash light on ebay for about $10. You will find your leak.

Have you checked the seals on the service port caps? Leak through the front of the compressor?

Good luck,

AS

whois wrote:

Reply to
AS

Guys, thanks for your input, I peeked into the enclosure containing the evap, visually saw the leaking area, replaced evap with new one, works great. Did not have to invest in a leak detector.

Reply to
rose122550