Fabric replacement on Sentra

Hello, people. I haven't been reading this NG for some time; things have gotten really slow here, but I hope I'll get some help.

The headliner in my '93 Sentra has come loose and is starting to hang in places. Also the fabric on the visors is falling to pieces from the sun. I trust me, so I'm thinking of doing the work myself.

Can anyone here at a.a.n. describe how to do this job on your own car: How difficult is it, or what would it cost to hire it out? I've made a variety of repairs to cars I've owned, but never tried this one.

In particular, I can't see how the headliner is attached and the Haynes manual I have says nothing about doing this.

Thanks if you can help, JM

Reply to
DemoDisk

Many years ago, I swapped a 1961 Lincoln Continental tan cloth interior for a 1961 Lincoln black leather interior, including the headliner. Once I started taking it off, after removing the trim around the door and window openings, it was obvious how it was installed. Of course, back then, the trim was metal and installed with screws. Today's trim is plastic and pops on and off.

Reply to
Willshak

interior

Nice trade: humble cloth for snazzy leather...!

I think I found some "hidden" screws near the backlight on my old Sentra. Maybe the trim will snap off like you said once they're removed.

It's just gonna have to look bad awhile until this heat wave breaks.

105° heat index here today, and it's even hot in NY state!

JM

Reply to
DemoDisk

I've done this headliner thing on a 1984 Chevy something, can't recall the name :-)

Anyway, the headliner material on that one is a foam backed cloth. Just take the old headliner of the car and clean the "formed, cardboard "backing material. Spray on the glue (3M can), starting from one end gradually lay down the new headliner material over it. Trim a few inches off the edges, and fold and glue the edges too. Re-install. Simple huh?

Yeah! I wish all the fixes were simple! Thanks for your answer, Cmdr.

JM

Reply to
DemoDisk