best place to get 96 cabrio top?

Hello, All!

Can someone give me some locations to get a replacement conv top for a 96 Cabrio? I see JC Whitney has it for $219, any place cheaper? Also, has anyone done the replacement themselves? Is it difficult?

Thanks, Duke

With best regards, dukecola. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net

Reply to
dukecola

Sounds cheap considering a new top for my 89 Cabriolet cheapest found for parts only $450 ( all 3 peices ) on ebay. About $1200 installed is what ive been quoted. If someone knows cheaper in the Seattle area let me know too.

Reply to
Lee

Does that include the headliner and the middle (felt) pieces, tension cables, etc.? Or is it only for the exterior fabric? There are numerous grades of fabric available for exterior fabric, some good and some not so good.

IMO installing it yourself, unless you have done it before, is risky in that if you don't do it exactly right you will probably be buying a second new top. I think this is a job for the experts, and if you hire a firm to do it, make sure the work is guaranteed.

Reply to
Papa

Careful! Cheap tops are just that; cheap quality. Spend the bucks on quality (maybe even cloth - I prefer it) if you intend to keep the car. I would stay away from JC Whitney & anywhere else that you can't determine place of manufacture (BTW $219 is high for a cheap top like JCW has). Also, check several do-it-yourself articles for your specific body style car. Try to determine "fer shur" if you want to tackle this project. We have one at

in thedatabase: you may have to join to see it.~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Had my 86 cabrio top replaced a few years ago. The upholstery guy had a heck of a time finding a replacement, since it was a grey top on a Wolfsburg (dark blue). He finally found a grey one. The vinyl is not as thick as the original and doesn't look as nice because of it.

One of these days I have to get the seats redone. Grey and blue leather. Guy said he'd make new ones for $1K a piece. Can't really justify that.

Ken

Reply to
KenM