Fuel gauge went out '91 Pathfinder

I have a 1991 Nissan Pathfinder, and this morning when I was taking my girlfriends sister to school it had stopped working. I just put fuel in it this morning and so I know I've got gas to get me places, but I can't rely on the guestimation system for too long.

What could the issue be? I need to get this fixed since I've got it on the market to sell it. I can't afford a mechanic so I'm praying this is a DIY job.

Thanks,

Richard

Reply to
richardevan

The last time I experienced a car that stopped working shortly after putting fuel in it, the problem was that the fuel was actually about 50% water. Try disconnecting the fuel line, pump some into a jar & see what comes out.

Reply to
E Meyer

Get a crowbar or something, and bang on the bottom of the fuel tank a few times. If the sender unit is in the fuel tank, it may jar it and cause it to send data again if that's the problem -- maybe not very likely, but it's an easy thing to do.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I'm assuming other gauges work so it's not a fuse ? jim's idea is a possability and maybe some dry gas . dick

Reply to
D.