Lights out on my '89 240SX HELP!!

The other day I noticed none of the accessory lamps outside the vehicle turn on, just the headlights. The brake lights only illuminate when the pedal is depressed (they don't illuminate when the headlights are on). At the same time, nothing inside lights up like it should. The whole dash console, everything inside remains off. I blew a few fuses so I am thinking there is a short somewhere in the line, but what would cause this and how can I fix this? Trying to get the car up for sale but obviously no one would but it when it is like that.

Thanks for any help.

-BD

Reply to
BD

BD, I've had bad ground problems with the rear light system that caused various symptoms. That would not take fuses out of course. But tightening the grounding lugs (only ~1/4 turn with a #2 phillips) at the rear light clusters solved all my problems. It's a cheap fix if it helps your rear lighting problems. The interior lighting problems are likely another issue. CR '90 240SX A joy to drive on the twisty bits.

Reply to
Cosmic Ray

It is a fuse. You will find that the tail lights are out as well. We blew the same fuse when installing an aftermarket radio in a '91 240sx. Check the wiring at the radio. If you have an aftermarket radio, the "extra" wire in the wiring harness that did not have a place to connect to the radio is hot. Make sure it is safely taped off.

Reply to
E. Meyer