Pathfinder transmission with no reverse.

I have a 94 Nissan Pathfinder (2wdr,v-6 auto) and I am about to fix the transmission for the third time in 4 years. First I took it to Cottman Transmission Shop and cost 1,200 and it lasted about 13 months then I took it to a small shop and it cost $700 and lasted for about 18 months. Now I have to take it once again but I am tired of spending money on the same thing. I do change the oil but my guess is that they did not clean it out very well during the rebuild. My question is, does anyone know why it doesn't go in reverse and it only goes forward? The trans oil does smell burnt so I know it needs to be repaired but I would appreciate if anyone has an idea of what would need to be replaced so I can have an idea of the cost. I would like to take it to a shop with a little knowledge to defend myself from being overcharged by the shop. Thanks in advance.

Carlos Trevino Houston

Reply to
Carlos Trevino

Anytime I had a bad transmission and then had it worked on it only lasted about a year. Transmission shops suck unless they really know what they are doing. The last car I need a tranny for was an older Maxima. This time I found one at a junkyard for 200.00 and had it installed for 200.00. It ran fine for the next two years and then I sold the car. I would never get a tranny repaired unless I couldn't locate one out of a junked car.

Reply to
houseslave

Exactly.

Most tranny shops use aftermarket cluches and gasket kits which are total junk. The whole "soft kit" with gaskets costs like $75-$100 where nissan parts are MUCH more but actually last more than a year. The problem is most auto trannies have so many fried parts, by the time you buy everything from nissan and then the labor, you can buy a rebuilt one from nissan (several thousand bucks..) We couldn't compete using nissan parts so stopped rebuilding auto's ourselves (we still do our own manual trannies though.)

We tried playing the local rebuilder game, used several shops and gave up on rebuilt automatics except direct from nissan rebuilds. Like this poster sugests, you are MUCH better off with a used (make sure it's unrebuilt!!) tranny than anything most transmission shops sell. A dead giveaway of a rebuilt is a painted converter, factory nissan converters aren't painted.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Carlos Trevino