previous owner smoker suggestions

Hi all

I bought a 2001 LE Pathfinder last year, been excellent except for the front seat motor dying. Anyways the vehicle was owned by a smoker and I've tried to get rid of the occasional bad smell. Any suggestions on what I can do ? I've re-treated the leather, hand scrubbed/washed all the interior carpets (including buying new mats) and even cleaned the roof liner. I notice it more on warmer days and also I use a car freshner. I've read about places that ionize vehicles....are they worth it.

I read that the cabin filters may also need replacing. I took apart the passenger front console area (glove box location) but couldn't find the filters.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks, Joel

Reply to
joe

It's probably in the heater/AC ducts. You may need to try something which will absorb the smell. Try baking soda, especially on those warmer days. Some activated charcoal may also help. How about Fabreeze?

I did find this also...

And...Try placing some bowls containing hot vinegar in the front and rear of the car. Leave overnight. You could also try scattering Bicarbonate of soda onto the seats and carpets, leave overnight, then vacuum up.

Good luck.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Woodell

The best method for removing most any odor from almost any confined area is to place a large number of Bounce (or similar brand) fabric softener sheets within the space, spread out, and close it up for as long a period of time you can manage. It should be at least 48 hours, and the longer the better. I learned this trick from a fellow that restored antique items from estates where they had acquired some of the less pleasant odors such as decayed food products, smoke, pet residue, etc. I cant believe how well it works.

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee

This may have to be a professional cleaning. I learned -via practical joke gone horribly wrong- that most dealerships have a vent cleaning and air treatment system thing that can get gross smells out of cars. What you're mostly smelling is smoke buildup deep in the vents themselves. Check your local Nissan dealer to see if they can do this- I used a Ford dealer when we had to do this, so I know they do it.

Reply to
Crystal